Chapter 18: Fear

Haru had come back some time later to see Takuya on the floor, very clearly embarrassed. He noticed his little brother had fallen asleep in (Y/n)'s arms, the girl rocking him back and forth. The brunette picked his little brother up from her and placed him in the crib, allowing him to sleep soundly, even if he did hold onto his finger for a while.

When he let go, Haru smiled and sat down next to the girl, looking over at Takuya. He gave a little scoff at the whimpering boy and chuckled afterward. He looked to the television and turned it on, beginning to set up the games that he wanted to play. He handed the controller to the girl, smiling excitedly.

"Wanna play?" he asked, although he would only take one answer.

"Absolutely," she laughed, "Prepare to lose!"

"I assure you, you will be the one to lose," he retorted, a small smile dancing on his lips.

They began to play the game, Haru losing time after time, although the girl wasn't entirely convinced he was playing his best. He seemed focused enough, but every now and then, he'd look over in the middle of the match and smirk, then return his focus back to the screen. Takuya must have felt ignored again, and began to rest near the girl, closing his eyes.

It was some time before they stopped playing and it was already dark out. Someone even came by to tell them that dinner was ready. When the (h/c) haired girl heard that, she began to panic and grabbed her things. Haru began to worry about her and grabbed onto her shoulder, trying to calm her down.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

"I have to go home. It's late and if I don't get home, my parents will worry about me. I'm going to be in so much trouble..."

"Are you sure you don't want to stay for dinner? I can have someone tell your parents. It shouldn't be a problem. I was having a lot of fun."

The girl shook her head, refusing his offer and waved goodbye, running out of the door and back to her home. It was rather abrupt and sudden, but seemed appropriate, considering she rarely saw her parents as it was. If they arrived home to see their daughter was missing without a word from her, they wouldn't have slept until they found her.

Haru was disappointed, crossing his arms as he pouted, watching the girl leave from the window. Takuya felt disconcerted since he hadn't been able to talk to her or really do anything. He was just a tool that Haru had used to be able to spend time with (Y/n). It wasn't that he minded too much, but he felt a little betrayed by the brunette when he realized his goal.

. . .

The next day, as the girl was walking to school, she noticed that there was an intimidating dog at her door, barking playfully. At first, she was startled because of the size of the dog, but when she realized it was Masaro, she began to pet the dog. In response, she received a wag of the tail and a smack to the head by his master.

"I didn't say you could pet him," Yamato scoffed, "What if he bit your arm off? Be more careful."

"You should be more careful," Shota growled, "Don't threaten her like that."

"I was only joking," Yamato rolled his eyes.

The rest of the boys were there, standing somewhat on-edge, a few glares shot to Haru or Takuya. Other than that, they seemed pretty calm. Rei, in particular, seemed more quiet than usual which drew on the girl's curiosity.

She looked at him, wondering if something had happened the day before to make him upset or something. He made eye-contact once before frowning and looking at the ground, stepping behind Akari. It was like he was using him as a shield.