XXVI

"Someone once said that death is not the greatest loss in life," Eva says while looking wistfully into the distance, "The greatest loss is what dies inside of us while we live."

"How many times are we supposed to die before we can finally live, then?" I ask her with a wide grin.

She looks back at me and gives me a smile of her own, "I don't know, Sash, but there's always tomorrow to figure that out. The sun will rise and we will try again."

When you lose someone, you always try to remember the last time you saw them. You try to remember the details, like what they were wearing, what they were talking about, did they smile that day?

But the memory is often blurry, because at that time you had no idea it would be the last time.

I'm putting white lilies on top of the cold marble surface.

"Evangelina Pavlova
May the road rise to meet you. May God hold you in the hollow of his hand.
1998-2016"

I cry softly against the gravestone and I hope for the wind to take all my sorrows away.

"I lost you four years ago and I still can't let you go. I love you forever, my sweet sister, you will always be remembered."

"One day you will have to let me go, Sash," she smiles sadly. "I love you too."