Chapter Twenty-Four: A Golden Cup

We accept the love we think we deserve

― Stephen Chbosky

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I leave Ariana in Albus's care. "Bye, mommy!!" She squeals and I stare at her in amusement. "I'll see you later, yeah?" I ask, and she nods her head frantically.

I had grown fond of the little child, and although having her call me mom was still strange, she was adorable all the same.

Albus gives a look, making me raise a brow at him. "You aren't going to comment on what I told you at that time?" I ask, and he sighs, shaking his head.

"We all say things when we're angry Valentine. I don't blame you for letting your emotions get the best of you." He answers, making me purse my lips.

I'd meant every word then.

I still did.

Albus was nothing more than an elderly man who wielded too much power. He was a manipulator. A god damn good one. He rivalled with Tom's abilities, actually.

I swallow my pride, wanting to get back on his good side. No matter how hard I tried, something didn't sit right with me about this whole thing.

"I'm sorry," I state in a loud voice, making him tilt his gaze up only to smile at me.

"All is forgiven and forgotten, cousin." He teases, making me smile at him. I whirl around to walk away, but his voice stops me in my tracks.

"Give Tom my regards."

My brow furrows in confusion, but I walk out of the office.

Strolling to the courtyard, I see Tom waiting for me. I fling my jacket on, wiping my hands on my jeans.

"You're late." Tom sneers. I curl my lip in distaste.

"By one minute!?" I demand. He doesn't even look at me, his tone icy cold.

"Late is late, Dumbledore."

He starts to walk away from the Hogwarts grounds, and I scowl, rushing to follow him. "I want to learn how to apparate," I tell him, and he glances at me with a sharp look.