ii. stranger danger

Darkroom - Ten Sleep

THEA'S POV:

"Thea."

"Baby, it's morning."

"Come on, it's time to get up now."

Groaning softly, I shifted in the bed covers and peeled one eye open. Sunlight spilled through the open curtains onto my pillow, lightening the familiar dimensions and pink walls of my room. I rubbed my eyes.

"What time is it?" I asked through a yawn.

"It's eleven-thirty."

"Hm?"

I opened my eyes fully this time, having not expected an answer, and found Papa sitting on the side of my bed with a hot drink in his hands. Why did he look so concerned?

I shot upright.

Memories of last night came flooding back in waves and I grasped my head in one hand. There was a dull pain at the back of my scalp, probably from when I hit the ground and Ruffles...

Frantically, I looked around my room. Papa reached forward and clasped my hand in his own gentle one, eyes full of worry. My gaze was drawn to the sleeping cat curled up on my bed sheets, her back slowly rising and lowering as she inhaled and exhaled. I breathed a sigh of gratitude. Thank God she was safe.

"How are you feeling, Thea?" my dad slowly asked.

"I-I think I'm okay. What happened last night?"

Papa's careful eyes flickered about my face. "That's what I was hoping you'd tell me."

I furrowed my brows.

"Here, drink this," he said before handing me the mug. The tea sat in the cup like a golden mirror. "Jasmine. I know you like that one."

I took a few sips, then licked my lips and wiped my mouth. "Papa... how did I get home?"

"You honestly don't remember?"

I shook my head.

Sighing, he scratched the back of his neck. "A man brought you home," he said and I almost dropped my cup. "He said he found you passed out on the side of the street and- God, do you know what I almost did to that poor man after seeing him with my daughter? Thea, tell me. Be honest with me. Did he hurt you? Did he do anything to you?"

"No!" I interrupted. "No, no, no, that's not what happened."

"So was he telling the truth?"

Anxiously, I chewed at my lip as Papa's eyes bore into mine. His usual, calm brown eyes now churned in expectation of my answer. I rarely ever saw my father angry; he was the definition of serene. I'd only heard stories about when he used to get bullied at school but he'd always fight back. It turned out that the others were scared of him. I knew that if I told him the truth about what happened, how I'd almost been...

He wouldn't let it slide.

But what had happened to those men? Had they gotten away? Or had that stranger done something to them?

"He was telling the truth."

The mug almost trembled in my hands. I hated lying to Papa but I just wanted it all to go away. I didn't want to remember it.

"Baby, I'm not understanding this," said Papa gently, brows furrowed. "Why did you pass out?"

"I don't think I ate enough yesterday. I, um, only had tea and biscuits."

He gave me a stern, reprimanding look. "What on earth were you thinking?" My shoulders shrunk guiltily. "Do you know how dangerous that was? What would have happened if that man didn't find you? I don't even want to imagine, baby. On such a cold night, and so dark as well. What if that guy took you to his place instead? How did he even know which house to take you to? "