CH 44 // No more secrets

The days passed, and soon winter break came to an end. Meaning, It was time to go back to school.
Charlie stirred awake with a stretch and shut his alarm off. He took a few more moments to enjoy the last bit of warmth and comfort he would have that morning in his bed before slowly dragging himself out.

After taking a quick shower to wake him up, he got dressed and sent Alex a 'Good morning' text while he brushed his teeth.
By the time he was done rinsing and fixing his annoying cowlick, he checked his phone expecting a response. Oddly enough though, he was left with no new notifications. Weird, usually Alex was up by now. Charlie frowned but shrugged it off. He figured he'd hear from him later anyway.

He went back to his bedroom to grab his books off his desk. He closed his eyes while walking over to let out a yawn. That's when he felt something hit his foot and almost tripped over his laundry basket. Oh, right, he was supposed to put his clothes away last night. He looked over at his clock to see if he would fall behind schedual if he did it right now. He had a few minutes to spare.

He picked up a shirt from the top of the pile. And that's when he saw it.
His pacifier was sitting right there in his laundrey basket.

He felt his stomach drop.
Mia must have known.

An eternity seemed to go by before Charlie could stop staring at the pacifier. Millions of thoughts rushed through his mind all at once.
How did she find it? What did she think? Is she weirded out now? What if she thought it was gross?
What if he gets kicked out?
His hands tighten around the shirt he was still holding. His eyes started to tear up.
He didn't want to be hurt again.

"What the fuck is he doing?" David yelled.
Charlie snapped awake. He sat up from the couch and pulled his thumb out of his mouth.

"David" His mother whispered harshly to him. "Don't start"

"Amanda, He's 14. What the hell is he doing sucking his thumb?" David asked her as if he wasn't sitting right there.

Charlie's mom stood from the couch and dragged David into the kithen. Charlie stayed quiet, as usual, and tried to ignore the arguement in the next room. Great. As if his Father didn't have enough reasons to think of him as a 'freak'.

Minutes passed. But eventually the arguement defused. David dissapeared to some other room of the house, and his Mother came back to sit. She seemingly stared off into nothing.
She looked drained, and some how...empty. She always did when they fought.

He slowly schooched himself closer and leaned on her, resting his head on her shoulder. She suddenly seemed to be pulled out of her trance and embraced him. He had to use everything he had in him not to cry. He didn't want to make thinsg worse than they already were.
What was wrong with him?

"What is wrong with me?" He thought to himself.
He let out a deep sigh and dropped the shirt at his feet. He picked up the pacifier and tossed it into his nightstand drawyer. It was unlikely that the pacifier would barely ever see the light of day again.

He then pulled his phone out and sent Alex frantic texts.

Charlie: Alex??? Are you there???

Charlie: I think Mia found my Pacifier. It was sitting in the laundrey basket. I should have never left it out. I feel so stupid.

Charlie: I'm so scared. idk what to do.

Charlie: Alex? :(

Suddenly, there was a knock on his door. Charlie quickly spun around to see Mia standing In the open doorway. He felt his whole body tense up.