Chapter Twenty-Nine.

Avery

I knew from the moment I saw him that there was no way I was getting out of this situation. I was walking to my car after my shift and I noticed the vehicle that was parked right next to it. I recognized it right away and everything made sense when I saw him standing there. It was the car I saw the night we went for pizza. I realized that he wasn't just following me to work, but he was following me everywhere. I immediately remembered Finn thinking he saw someone the other day at my house, but both of us brushed it off. We shouldn't of brushed it off. 

He threatened me. He said that he didn't want to hurt me, but he would if he had too. He said that if I just went with him, everything would be explained. He said that if after I hear everything he has to say, and I still want nothing to do with him, he'll leave me alone. But I know that's not true because I've told him multiple times that I want nothing to do with him, and that just made everything worse. I've watched enough documentaries and shows on stalkers to know that I have to go along with this, not matter what.

Now I'm sitting in some kind of redone and fully furnished shed. It has a small bathroom and a small kitchen attached to it and I have no idea how he has access to it. It's literally in the middle of nowhere. We drove for well over an hour and a half, but I think he was going in circles to throw me off and it worked. I tried to take note of where we were driving but I couldn't keep track because my head was spinning so badly. I'm glad I got that text to Cam when I did, though. Because Mason took my phone shortly after like I thought he would, claiming it was because he didn't want us to have any distractions while we were finally alone together.

He just kept saying that he was only doing this because he wanted to talk to me alone and it didn't work last time. He said that this was the only way I would understand. That he just needed to show me.

He's pacing around the shed now, lighting candles and trying to make sure I'm 'comfortable'. I'm watching him carefully, seeing how he's fidgeting and nervously rubbing his hands on his dark wash jeans. He used to do that all the time when we were dating. I always took it as a little nervous tick, since he's definitely socially awkward. I even found it cute and endearing at one point. But not now. Not anymore.

When he finally gets everything he needs settled, he grabs an envelope from the desk and comes over to me. I gulp, sitting on my hands as I sit on the couch, my posture straightening as I ready myself for whatever is about to go down. I'm moved as far over as I can go against the arm rest, trying to get a handle on my shaking.

He sits next to me and pushes his glasses up his nose before wiping his hands on his jeans again. "I know I'm not good at saying what I want. I-I mess up and don't say what I need too. And I know you like to read and write.. So I wrote you a letter."

He shyly hands it to me and I hesitate before taking it. I do though, trying so fucking hard to stop my shaking. I look down at the letter in my hands. "You want me to read it now?" He nods excessively, an excited smile on his face. It's like he knows that this piece of paper is going to change my mind, but's it not. Nothing is going to come close to doing that.

"Okay," I say quietly, carefully taking the letter out of it's casing. I unfold it, blinking a few times before reading it.

My Dearest Avery,

I know I've messed up. I know that I haven't handled the last few weeks as well as I should of. I'm sorry. I just get so worked up around you. You ignite something inside me.

I know I shouldn't of sent that recording to Colin. And I know you think I shouldn't of even listened, but I disagree. I know you believe in fate, and so do I. And I believe that fate had me call you at that exact time, and that it wanted me to be a part of that moment. It only made me want to pursue you more. I knew that after that night, I needed you again. That I needed every part of you. That I was so stupid to let you go as easily as I did two years and four months ago. I shouldn't of let you go.