Part V

Night time in the town square was usually a quiet affair. The taverns were on the outskirts so people wouldn't have far to stumble home when they were 'ten sheets to the wind'. Other businesses closed up shop around sundown. The only sign of life was the subtle glow of the lanterns that lit the way for anyone needing safe passage in the dark. Tonight was the opposite. The town square was buzzing with excitement - it was the place to be. 

The feast of RedCrest was an annual dinner held every year since the end of the Serpentine War. And every year the feast would be held in the town square, which would see it transformed from its nightly slumber into the party of the year. Beautiful red silk draped all around, lanterns hung on every post, red candles illuminated the numerous long tables. Native flowers from the area flooded every surface in a sea of light blue, lavender and golden yellow. The food, oh the food: steak, roast beef, chicken drumsticks, boiled potatoes, pumpkin, tomatoes, lamb, pork, crackling and much, much more piled high on every plate. Drinks overflowed from goblets and people talked, laughed, sang and danced in merriment.

Everyone from the town was there, sitting at whichever table they liked. Unlike other events, there was no royal table, for everyone at this feast was treated equally, every life worth the same, just like on the battlefield. Queen Eleanor, dressed in her old battle uniform - red jacket with gold buttons, red open-front skirt with red tailored horse-riding trousers beneath and she wore her crown atop her head. She sat at a table with Floran to her left and with the seat to her right empty, where the King's crown was displayed reverently upon a royal cushion on the table - a traditional display of remembrance for the widows of incumbent royalty.

Snow was late and the Queen wasn't happy. Falkner had told the Queen what she had heard coming from Snow's room. Eleanor would have to get Snow away from Floran to impress upon her the seriousness of her behaviour. She had to say something, but would be tactful about how she said it. El didn't want Floran to find out - she was sensing a growing divide between herself and her son and did not want to make it any worse. She wondered what the King would have done in her situation.

She absentmindedly traced her finger over the King's crown as her eyes wandered to the games area - ring toss, archery and knock-em-downs were being enjoyed by the villagers, young and old. It was interesting, what was once a reverent and very solemn banquet in remembrance of the war, had morphed into a raucous celebration over the years. The Queen didn't mind though, she relished the thought that people could be so happy after a war that was so sad.

Suddenly, the crowd began to stop what they were doing and turn their attention to something happening behind the Queen. Eleanor and Floran turned around to see Snow, atop a white horse, trotting in, wearing the most beautiful royal red dress in all the land, with a red flower in her hair. All eyes were on her as she came to a stop and spontaneous applause broke out. A solider moved close to help Snow down but in a flash, Floran excused himself and was up from the table to take over the solider's duties and escort Snow off the horse himself.

The crowd buzzed with discussion. "Does this mean they're together?", "Is she the new princess?", "Will she be the next Queen?" Some people in the crowd moved toward Snow, hoping to speak with her personally. The Queen saw her opportunity slipping away and briskly walked over to Snow. Some people had just begun introducing themselves as the Queen interrupted, "Excuse me everyone, but I must speak to Snow privately for just a moment." Floran looked to Snow, Snow nodded demurely and walked off with the Queen, leaving Floran to speak with the guests.

"It's a beautiful night," Snow complimented the Queen. "Yes, unfortunately it has already been sullied by your behaviour," said the Queen, curtly. Snow was taken aback, "I beg your pardon?" "I've had a complaint from a member of staff that you both verbally and physically abused your lady's maid," said the Queen, seriously, "I will not have this in my Kingdom, let alone in my castle. Do you understand?" Snow didn't answer straight away, trying to take in what the Queen was saying. "Yes, I do understand," said Snow, "but I'm afraid you do not, Eleanor."