33 | Put Yourself Back Together

3 3
Put Yourself Back Together

It feels like every pair of eyes are on me as I walk through the cafeteria.

Over the last several months at Arlin Preparatory, I've gotten used to the feeling of being watched like an animal at the zoo.

What's bothering me, and honestly has me ready to drop the stupid, brown paper bag from my hands is one particular set of eyes.

As if there's some sort of radar programmed in me, I know to keep my eyes away from the entire left side of the cafeteria. He's there, standing in the corner of the room. I just know it.

I can feel those extremely blue eyes on me, watching my every move. I want to turn that way and scream for him to stop, to finally leave me alone after everything he's done. But that'd make me look insane. And that's definitely solidifying his win. It'd show that he got to me, and I can't allow that. He already took too much.

Instead I scan the room for my twin brother—the most annoying person on this entire fucking planet, who's ironically become my safe space. My only space.

Noah's sitting at a table in the back right corner of the large room. His head is cast down, fingers rapidly moving over the screen of his phone. I push my legs to move that way faster, repeating over and over in my head to not trip over air and embarrass myself anymore than I've already been.

From the corner of my eye, I spot Malia entering the room from the other side. I spare her a full glance, narrowing my eyes as she passes. The most she does is stare for barely one second before she continues her walk toward Jalen and the rest.

Ignoring the dull ache in my chest that grows stronger after that, I finally reach Noah. I practically throw myself down into the seat, garnering the attention of my twin.

Noah looks up, face remaining emotionless as he nods in acknowledgement at me, then glances back down.

Cool.

Every so often his hand reaches up to grab some chips from his tray to place into his mouth. I decide to open my brown bag and pull out the sandwich I made myself this morning. I wasn't sure how lunch would go, so I wanted to be fully prepared to eat by myself in the corner of an empty hall.

Thank god for my brother, though. The ache in my chest becomes tighter as I realize he really is all I have anymore. The thought is bittersweet. We still haven't said anything to each other about what's happening with our parents, Knox, Jalen, Daniel, or David.

We honestly haven't spoken at all. But we are family, and though that doesn't mean shit to Malia, it does to Noah and I. I guess we both understand there's an unspoken loyalty we must have to one another. No matter what.

Halfway through my sandwich, I notice Noah's hands reaching toward his head. He removes two earbuds, then brings his similar icy eyes to mine. "How's your day been?"

I shrug a shoulder. "Alright. How about yours?"

He returns the shrug with one of his own, then places both arms onto the table and hunches over. "Just want it to end. Have you heard from Knox?"

I narrow my brows. "Knox? No, why? Something happened?"

Noah quickly shakes his head. "Nah, just... haven't spoken to him in a minute. He's been quiet."

"Of course," I say, nodding my head, and Noah does the same. This isn't the first time Knox has gone mute after witnessing another shitshow from our parents. "He's still going to class, though?"

After taking a big sip from his carton of milk, he looks at me. "I saw him during fourth period, so he's definitely in the building at least."

"How'd you see him during fourth period?" I ask, tilting my head to the side. "Are you cutting, Noah?"