Chapter 23: Shipping Off

The sunlight was what woke Alana the next morning. It streamed in from the window beside the bed. She felt Obi-Wan beside her, his skin touching hers softly. She turned slowly in bed, stifling a yawn.

Her eyes came into contact with his, and she gave him a smile, her hands coming up and tracing the crinkles around his eyes when he smiled.

"Good morning," Obi-Wan said.

"You have a habit of watching me sleep, don't you?" Alana said, moving her hand down to his bare chest and shaking her head as he smiled down at her.

"You look peaceful when you sleep," he replied, brushing her hair out of her face and taking her hand in his. "And I love waking up beside you. Your snore is quite cute also."

Alana rolled her eyes and moved her hands to his chest, pushing him away from her playfully. Before he slid too far, he pulled her with him, rolling so that she was straddled on top of him, the only thing between them a thin blanket. She stared down at him, licking her lips before bringing herself closer to him and kissing.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. Alana jumped back and dove under the sheets.

"Go. Hide in the bathroom," Obi-Wan whispered, turning and pulling on his pants and tunic as he made way for the door. Alana grabbed her dress from the previous night and raced into the bathroom, hissing as the door slid shut loudly behind her. She listened as Obi-Wan went to the door and answered.

"Good morning, Master," Sylvan said. "Sorry to bother you. I was, uh, wondering if you had seen Master Skywalker anywhere? I went to her room and the mediation rooms, but I can't find her. I thought maybe she might be here?"

Alana clenched her teeth. Her Padawan was very smart, it would be difficult to keep their relationship secret.

"No, young one, she is not here. I haven't seen her since we spoke after the Council meeting yesterday. I thought you had shipped out," Obi-Wan said. "Have you checked the archives?"

"Oh, no," Sylvan replied, her voice reflecting her embarrassment. "Thank you, Master Kenobi. Sorry to disturb you."

Alana remained hidden in the bathroom until Obi-Wan opened the door and peered in.

"That was close," he said, noting that she had pulled back on her dress. "I suppose we should get going."

Alana pursed her lips, her happiness from the previous night and from waking up beside him vanishing in smoke. Obi-Wan seemed to notice her mood change and came in, wrapping his arms around her waist and holding her.

"I don't want to let go," she whispered, her face buried in his chest, taking in the way he smelled, the way he felt around her. "And I don't want to leave you."

"I know," Obi-Wan replied, his hands rubbing her back gently. "I do not wish to part ways either, but at some point, we must. Sylvan is getting anxious to go, and we both have to continue to fulfill our duties as Jedi."

Alana sighed and pulled back from his embrace.

"I have two things for you," Obi-Wan said. "Come."

He held his hand out for her, and she took it, letting him lead her out of the bathroom and back into the room. He pulled her towards where he had left his shoes and reached inside to a small concealed pocket inside them and pulled something out. When he turned to her, one hand contained two communication devices.

"Dex gave these to me. They can piggyback on any frequency. Any transmissions we send to and from each other will go completely undetected, no matter how far the range."