Chapter Twenty-Six: Curses to Mutter

Too much happiness always overflowed into tears of sorrow

― Amy Tan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I lead Tom to the outskirts of the town that he had momentarily destroyed.

"What are we doing?" Tom scowls at me, "Dumbledore."

I ignore him. We reach an untouched patch of snow, and I wave my hand, casting a spell so we wouldn't freeze to death or get wet. "Sit." I grin at him and plop down on the snow before him.

He eyes me warily and looks at me in disgust. "Why are we here?" He snarls, making my grin widen.

"I'm going to teach you the healing spell you wanted to learn."

He stares at me silently, but the gleam in his eyes has me knowing I made the right choice by trying to get his mind off his mum.

"And the one you performed allowing us to break into that disgusting old hag's home." He gives a loathsome look, and I chuckle.

"She could've put a better robe on." I agree with him.

"She could've put a better everything on."

I laugh, and then he sighs, motioning with his hand. "Get on with it, Dumbledore." He scowls.

We sat facing each other, both of us crisscrossed on the snow. I'd put out all the flames, Tom had caused to my immense relief.

"So, you need to be able to channel your magic like a whip," I tell him and unleash my magic. "It's another limb. An extension of you." I shoot my magic out to the side, and it returns back to me instantly. "That's the first step." I beam at him.

He was staring at me with that same intelligent look he always wore when we were in class. "That's magnificent." He breathes, staring at my magic in barely concealed awe.

I blink at him, staring in shock. "I think that's the first compliment that you have ever given me." I grin, teasingly. He sends me a deadly glare.