Chapter Twenty-five

On Monday morning, Master Eugene wasn't there in his room. Neither was he on Tuesday, so I couldn't report the meeting I had with Robert Miller Thompson to him. However, on Wednesday, after leaving his empty room, I was met with Tobias's frowning figure in the hallway. I had a bad premonition.

"Good morning, Master Tobias," I whispered, fiddling my fingers.

"I heard about Sunday," he said, completely disregarding my greeting. "I want to discuss it with you tonight, in my room. Come around midnight." Midnight was early: usually our meetings were around one or three in the night.

After dinner, I discussed it with Rudy.

"Do you think he's mad? How do you suppose he found out, anyway?"

"I can promise you I didn't tell him," he said. "But I don't think Master Tobias will be mad. If you're helping Master Eugene, he will definitely support you, too."

I didn't tell him that it was different. I was bringing Master Eugene into danger. If Mister Silas heard Master Eugene was going up against him, forget Master Tobias, the twins, and the children, the first person he'd aim to get rid of would be Master Eugene. I grew sick at the thought.

"Either way, good luck for tonight," Rudy said. "I'll stay awake just in case of anything and be in the kitchen." I smiled, glad for his loyalty.

"Thank you."

When midnight came, the girls were all tucked in and ready to sleep when I shuffled out of my bed in pretense of having a midnight snack. I knew Otis, Matheus, and Beth often had midnight snacks, and I even joined once, so it wasn't that strange. However, Clo raised her eyebrows at me. Thankfully Rhiannon and Beth didn't pay me any attention—well, Beth was asleep.

I hastily got dressed and decided to not bring a lamp tonight, as I had already memorized the layout of the mansion.

When I was at the masters' hallway I saw a figure standing there, in front of Master Tobias's room.

Was he waiting for me? Outside? That was a bit dangerous: other people could see us or grow suspicious.

I ran to him, but when I got closer my breath got caught in my throat. The figure was taller, had longer hair, and a goatee.

The man looked over at me when I reached him, and smirked.

"Fancy meeting you here, Miss Shuyan. What a coincidence, I was just thinking of talking to you."

"Mister Silas—!"

Despite smiling, his voice was cold, and his words, although seemingly innocent, were laced with something malicious. Something I didn't want to get any closer to.

I inhaled deeply and wished I could look as confident as Rhiannon and Clo. I straightened my back before I sputtered out an excuse.

"I apologize, I was just wandering around. I should get back—"

"Oh, no." He took a step forward to me, brown waves falling over his eyes, and leaned close—so close that I could see the pale grey of his irises. "Don't leave. That'd be such a waste, as I was looking for a companion tonight. It's not fair that Tobias always has you to himself, is it?"

How did he know?

"Master Tobias?" My voice was hardly audible. "But we don't—"

"Haha!" His laughter made me jump. It was so menacing, like everything else.

"I was merely joking, Miss Shuyan. I indeed do have to talk to you. Come, I even have wine prepared."

I blinked in fear and confusion. I had to reject him, but how? My heart thudded and my knees trembled.