Chapter 22: Goblin town

Luka POV

Most of the company were sleeping; the large pile of dwarves snores sounding like thunder, deep and echoing around the cave. At every little sound, I winced. I lay beside Thorin, a place I had silently claimed as every one began settling down, and I could tell he was awake. I battled with myself on wether or not to speak to him, like the burning urge demanded me to.

I slowly sat up, knowing I wouldn't get any sleep until we were out of these cursed mountains. My nerves leapt and I growled softly as one of the dwarves shuffled in his sleep, grumbling. I relaxed a few seconds after the movement had stopped, moving out of my defensive stance I held over Thorin. I prayed he hadn't noticed, by some miracle, but by the soft, deep chuckle I heard, my pled had gone unheard.

"No need to be so on edge" Thorin whispered quietly, his voice soft and gentle. I had never heard him speak like this, the sound calmed me instantly. My body visible sagged, and I let go of a breath I hadn't realised I'd been holding. I slowly lowered myself back to the floor, lying back down beside Thorin.

"I'm sorry, these mountains hold only bad memories for me" I admitted softly, staring deeply at the blue fabric of Thorin coat. I froze and looked away as Thorin shuffled and then turned over to face me. I glanced down self consciously and then gazed back at Thorin, locking eyes with him. Slowly, as if afraid I would brake, Thorin raised a hand, gently tracing the scar that had been left behind when my eye was taken. I closed my eyes at the feel of his touch, but stiffened when he spoke.

"Does it involve this?" He whispered, his rough knuckles tracing my jaw as he got to the end of the ugly scar. I sighed, dipping my head slightly. I wanted to whimper when Thorin dropped his hand but I kept it in.

"No-" I managed to chock out, unwilling to meet Thorin eyes as I brushed my hair over the scar. "-I gained that from a much more formidable foe." I lowered my head as memories flashed by. My screams seemed to echo in my head as the countless scars I had, burned in memory. I few tears betrayed my stony facade and trickled down my face. Thorin placed a knuckle under my chin and lifted my head so our eyes were level, before he used his thumb to wipe away the tears and uncover my scar. We were so close...I could feel his breath hitting my face in warm waves. He opened his mouth to say something, when movement and sound behind him caught our attention, destroying any spell that had been cast over us. I jerked up slightly only to have Thorin pull me back down. I grunted softly as Thorin slammed me against his hard chest, holding me close as I struggled feebly, so I would move. If it was a threat-

I caught bilbo's scent and became still. Thorin had somehow known it was bilbo. I peeked over Thorin shoulder to watch as bilbo glanced around and then tiptoed over the other dwarves. I went to go after him, only for Thorin to hold me still again. I gave a soft, annoyed growl but stopped struggling, enjoying the fact my head was burrowed in Thorins chest. I couldn't help taking a deep breath of his scent. At my growl, Thorin pulled me closer, muffling my growl in the crook of his neck. I froze, this was a bad position for me, this was where a mate would mark one another. I clenched my teeth as the beast began howling, pushing me to mark him.

'MARK!'

"Where do you think you're going?" I vaguely heard Bofur ask, but I ignored them as I ignored my instincts.

"Back to Rivendell." I caught before my mind blocked it out completely. Slowly, like someone was prying my jaws open, my mouth opened and my teeth extended.

'MARK'

Thorin adjusted his hold, his head resting on mine, but I ignored the movement.

'Marrrrrk'

"You're homesick; I understand."

'Maaaarrrrk'

"No, you don't, you don't understand! None of you do - you're dwarves. You used to - to this life, to living on the road, never settling in one place, not belonging anywhere."