chapter one

dedicated to remuslupout for always being there for me when i needed help with my writing, and for making the best covers in the world. thank you <3

The sands and hot suns of Tatooine were all Ryha Dallie had ever known, and to her knowledge, all she would ever know. She'd grown used to the beige and heat of her home planet, and had even grown used to the fact that she was a slave on it, too. Ryha had grown used to a lot of things that others may have found unbearable, but that was okay — she was alive, she was healthy, and most importantly, she had something most people on Tatooine didn't.

Ryha Dallie had a best friend.

Anakin Skywalker was another thing that she had always seemed to have always known. They were around the same age, Anakin being a year her senior, but that didn't matter to them. They had a bond that was stronger than anything in the galaxy — nothing could break them apart. And even though she lived with her master and the rest of his slaves, Anakin and his mother were the only family she had, and the only family she could have needed. Unlike Anakin, Ryha wasn't fortunate enough to have her parents with her during her childhood. In fact, she didn't even know who they are. For as long as she could remember it'd been just her, until she met Anakin.

How they met wasn't uncommon for slaves on Tatooine — Ryha had been sent out to run errands by her owner, and Anakin just happened to be the one that was working the shop where she needed things from. Her order was simple enough, but Anakin found himself making up excuses for her to come back; saying that things were broken, or that the part needed to be tweaked in order for it to work to it's highest capability. Eventually, there was nothing left to fix, and therefore no more excuses for Anakin to see his Ryha. That was, until Ryha started showing up on her own, after she had finished her daily tasks for her master. She and Anakin quickly became inseparable — they did everything they could together. She kept him company while he fixed up racers and let him talk about them for hours, and he let her babble on about her dreams of one day getting out of Tatooine, and what life would have in store for her after she fled. And to that, Anakin's response was always the same:

"I'll get us out of here one day. I promise."

So, just like she did every day, she joined Anakin at Watto's Shop after she'd finished her chores. But, unlike every other day, she was not alone with her best friend. As soon as she ran through the shop like she always did, she was met with the sight of a tall man being led outside by Watto, a strange looking creature that she had never seen before, a droid, and a young woman talking to her Ani.

"I'm a pilot, you know. And one day, I'm gonna fly away from this place." he informed the girl.

"You're a pilot?" she asked, doubt lacing her tone.

"Mhm, all my life."

"Ani?" Ryha asked sheepishly, gaining both the boy's attention, along with the mystery girl's.

"Ryha!" he grinned, putting down the spare part he was cleaning. "About time you got here!"

Ryha fell into Anakin's arms, just as she always did, and burrowed her face into his neck, seeming to hide from the strange creatures in the shop. She was used to almost everyone in her town on Tatooine, and she knew that these people were a long way from what she was used to.

"And who's this?" the girl asked, seeming to melt at the sight.

"This is Ryha," Anakin announced, hugging his best friend tight. "She's coming with me when I fly away from this place. Don't worry, she's a little shy, but she'll come around. She just doesn't know you yet!"