Chapter 34 -- The Hardest Thing

STOP! READ FIRST: **I made a mistake in the last chapter! Zak and Maysa's mom's name is Liyana, NOT Leila!

Aaliya and Suleiman -- Adam and Noha's parents

Liyana and Yahya -- Zak and Maysa's parents

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Love has rendered my mother speechless, its effects apparent in her anticipating eyes and shaking hands." -- Maysa Malik, COAMG

Chapter 34

The Hardest Thing

☼ Maysa Malik ☼

            New experiences make you appreciate those who have been through what you’re going through right now even more. I quickly discovered last night and this morning that visiting a loved one in the hospital is the worst feeling in the whole damn world. Especially if that person is like your built-in best friend and brother all rolled into one.

            The morning is painfully tense. Nazia and I head downstairs for breakfast. I was hoping that my parents wouldn’t be up but they were. They were sitting at the breakfast table staring at the wall, facing each other but not talking.

            “S-salam.” Nazia says, stumbling over the word. Breaking the silence just seems wrong.

            “Salam.” I echo. I make my way over to the fridge and get out the gallon of milk, pouring it in two bowls.

            “How long did you two know about this?” Dad doesn’t even look at us, just stares off with wide, glassy eyes. Nazia and I cringe at the direct question. She glances at me and I glance at her. My mouth tastes like metal and my heart thuds. Nazia opens her mouth but I refuse to let her take the responsibility.

            “We don’t know much. Just that Zakariya was going through something hard.” It’s a meager, pathetic semblance of an apology.

            “And you two didn’t bother to tell us?” Mom turns around so that she’s facing us. She doesn’t look mad or angry. She looks hurt. The pain on her face causes her features to crumble as she anticipates our answer.

            I stare down at the counter. “No, Mom. He told us not to tell anyone and we…we foolishly listened to him.”

            “Did you know exactly what your brother was going through?” Dad asks.

            “No.” Nazia responds quietly, looking down in shame. I am too.

            “Zakariya got caught in a drug dealer’s world. He spoke to the principal about it on Thursday, but no administrative action could have been taken until Monday, his principal said. The boy—the drug dealer—was suspended for the whole week.”

            “Aiden Becks?” Nazia squeaks. Shoot. She’s done it now.

            “Is that his name?” Mom asks.

            Clearing my throat, I nod. “Yeah. Aiden Becks.”

            “Maysa, Nazia, how could you know about this and not tell us?” My mom’s face is unbearable to watch. I glance away.

            “Mommy? There’s something else….” Nazia trails off.

            Mom and Dad brace themselves. “Yes?” They ask. My dad looks the most scared he’s ever looked.