606-610

606. If you’re in a really heated situation, try to avoid the word “you." The word “you” is accusatory and is not going to help.

607. If you have a big favor to ask, start by asking smaller ones ahead of time. This is called the foot in the door phenomenon. If you ask for small things, then work up to big things, people are more likely to say yes than if you start off with a huge favor.

608. Inversely, if you are asking for a small favor but still know that they will probably say no, start by asking them for a huge favor. Then when they say no, ask for the smaller one. They’re more likely to say yes, especially if they feel a bit bad about turning down the first request.

609. People who have cars with bumper stickers are more likely to exhibit road rage. You may want to think twice before laying on the horn. A study at Colorado State University found drivers who use decals, dashboard hulas, and vanity plates, are more likely to be road ragers than others. Researchers say it comes down to the fact that people who mark their territory appear to be a bit more aggressive.

610. Dr. David Buss, an evolutionary psychologist, recorded mating preferences for more than 10,000 people from 37 cultures and found that a woman’s physical attractiveness was at the top or near the top of every man’s list. He concluded that, therefore, nothing was more important to a marriage-minded woman than her good looks.