1.6

SIXTEEN.
the point of no return

▪︎▪︎▪︎

《Adalyn's P.O.V》
Present Day

▪︎▪︎▪︎

"Luke.." I muttered aloud as tears welled up in my eyes. He took a few steps closer to me in shock and uncertainty.

"Adalyn..?" He whispered, holding his left hand out to touch my cheek. "Is that.. really you?"

I felt his warm, gloved hand comfort me as he grazed his thumb over my skin. He looked into my eyes, recognizing its familiar tint. My lips curved into a small smile as I pulled him into a warm embrace.

"I missed you so much.." I murmured, burying my head in his chest.

"Me too." Luke sighed, running a hand through my hair. Not long after, we pulled apart from the embrace. He smiled, placing his hands on my shoulders. "You have no idea how happy I am to see you."

I grinned as he grabbed my hand. I said, looking up at him, "I can't believe you're here.. in front of me again."

"Well, it doesn't only have to be through force-bonding.." He said, tightening his grasp on my hand. "Just tell me where you are, and I'll come and get you. I'll take you back to the others -- Han and Leia.. we can all be together again."

"Luke," I hesitated. "As much as I want that.. I can't."

"Wait, what do you mean 'you can't'?" He asked, his smile fading. "I promised that I'd come find you and bring you back after the war.. the Empire is--"

"I know.. it's gone." I said, pulling my hand away from his grasp and bringing them into my chest. "I've heard rumors about what happened."

"Adalyn, what I'm trying to say is, the Empire isn't here anymore to destroy and tear us apart." He paused, his voice pleading.

"The whole Empire might not be there to," I shook my head. "But its people will."

"How can you be so sure?" He asked, crossing his arms.

"Because 'HE'S' out there, looking for me..!" I snapped, frowning. "And if I go with you, you'll be in danger too. He'll stop at nothing.. even kill innocent people in order to find me; I don't want that."

"But I tried so hard to find you. I spent all these years, trying to use the Force to locate where you were -- you're my top priority."

"And keeping the people I love most safe is mine." I sighed, looking right into his blue eyes. "Look, I don't want to risk it."

"Risk?" He scoffed. "Risk what!?"

"Risk losing you, Luke!" I growled, curling my hands into a fist. "I've already lost sight of who I was. I've ruined everything for myself -- the Force, my past, friends, mentors -- I don't want that to happen to you."

"So what if he's out there?! I'll protect you if you would just tell me--"

"This is my problem! Why can't you just understand that?!" I turned my back on him, scoffing. "I got myself involved in these complications, now there's no turning back. I have to face them.. myself."

He sighed, pausing for a moment. He slowly took a step forward, placing a hand on my shoulder. "You don't have to do this alone.. we've handled things like these in the past--"

"It's not that simple anymore." I sighed, turning around to face him once again. He looked down at the floor -- disappointment written all over his face.

".. I can't leave you; I want to save you."

"This is my battle," I said, placing my hand on his cheek as he shifted his gaze onto mine. "I found something I want to protect.. people I need to protect, and you're one of them."

"I don't care what you say -- I will find you again." He said with a determined look on his face. "I won't give up until you're back in my arms again."

"I--" I stopped myself, shaking my head.

"Adalyn, look at me," He breathed out as I stared into his beautiful blue eyes. He leaned his forehead against mine, closing his eyes. ".. I love you."

".. I know."

That's when I returned to reality; out of Luke's grasp. I took a deep breath in, still feeling his presence surround my body. I grabbed my lightsaber from off the ground, placing it in my emissary belt -- Luke's words still lingering inside my mind.

🔹️🔹️🔹️

I made my way back to the village as it grew darker; my whole encounter with Luke still ingrained inside my head. I walked into my homestead, dropping my bag on the floor and sitting down on a nearby chair. I sighed, closing my eyes as I leaned against the seat.

Just then, I heard footsteps approach the homestead. Even though my eyes were closed, I knew who had entered the room -- Mando.

I pursed my lips, "Hey."

"Where were you?" He asked as I opened my eyes, sitting up to face him.

"Somewhere." I replied softly.

"You were gone for the whole day." He said, placing his lantern down on the floor as he walked towards me. "Did you eat something?"

"No, I wasn't hungry." I shrugged, grabbing my lightsaber from my belt and twirling the hilt around my fingers. "I had.. stuff to do. Eating didn't really cross my mind."

Before he could respond, the child started crying inside his crib. Mando walked over to the crib, not knowing what to do with the crying child. I sighed, standing up as I placed my lightsaber back in my belt. I gently picked up the child and cradled him in my arms.

"Shh.." I whispered, holding him close. "It's okay."

Slowly, his cries began to fade. I smiled as he stared up at me with his big teary eyes. I placed him back down inside the crib as he went back to sleep. Mando stared at me in shock.

".. How'd you get so good with him?"

"It comes naturally, I guess." I muttered, looking down at the kid. "You just have to understand him."

🔹️🔹️🔹️

It was early in the morning, almost dawn. I sat up on the mattress, looking around the homestead. Mando was still asleep and so was the child. I stood up, softly walking outside and onto the front porch.

I stared off into the distance, watching the sun start to rise as the wind blew through my hair. My eyes began to fill up with tears as I thought about everything that had built up to this moment.

I sniffled, wiping the tears away from my eyes with my arm. I pursed my lips, holding back the remaining tears that urged to fall. I watched as the sunrise showed off its radiance, reminding me of something that Luke had told me.. when we had first met a long, long time ago.

▪︎▪︎▪︎

"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's furthest from."

▪︎▪︎▪︎

I nodded, realizing that what he'd said to me that day was true. That's when I knew:

There was no going back now.