Chapter 26: The Hospital

Cassie's point of view:

My head hurts.

Everything hurts, really, but my head especially. And my leg.

I don't know why.

The last thing I remember is going to school and then leaving in a car and being upset, and then...

Nothing.

Why won't my eyes open?

And what is that incessant beeping? Just over and over again.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

Shut the fuck up already.

I groan as I attempt to open my eyes. They flutter, but trying to open them is giving me a raging headache.

Another groan leaves my mouth as my eyes open and I'm blinded by white lights.

My eyes adjust, and I see I'm in a white room. Noise filters in through the closed door and I glance down at myself to see me in a hospital bed, dressed in a hospital gown.

What really freaks me out, though, is the fact that my left leg is in a cast.

A shriek leaves my mouth as I scramble to get up, pain shooting through my leg and my head and my ribs.

What the hell happened to me?

"Woah, woah, Cassie," someone says as they rush to hold me down and prevent me from moving. "Calm down, it's okay, you're okay."

I look up to see Aaron standing over me.

"Aaron," I say, panicked. "What happened? Why am I in here?"

"Shh," he says as two nurses come through the door. "Everything's going to be fine. You're going to be fine."

The nurses inject something into the IV drip I'm connected to, and the last thing I see is Aaron's green eyes staring into mine, filled with worry.

---------

The next time I wake up, I'm calm. Still freaked out, but calm.

Aaron is by my side immediately, scanning my face. "You okay?"

It takes me a while to register the question, but I nod and end up letting out a grunt as the intensity of the pounding in my head increases, and I rethink my answer. "Not really." Aaron opens his mouth to speak, but I interrupt him before he can. "What happened?"

Before he can answer, a doctor in a white coat walks through the door, a nurse close behind him. "How are you feeling?" the doctor asks, looking down at the clipboard in his hands.

I think, the question taking a while to process. "My head hurts a little. And my ribs."

He nods. "That was expected. I'm going to go over your injuries and give you a recovery plan, okay?" When I nod, he continues. "Your leg broke in two different places, hence the cast, and you'll have to have it on for at least the next three months." He flips through his papers. "You also have two broken ribs, as well as a few bruised ones, along with a concussion. You're going to have to stay off of your feet and take it easy for a while, no exerting yourself." He waits until I give him a nod of confirmation. "We will be supplying you with painkillers to deal with the pain. You're going to be feeling dizzy and might experience mild memory loss in relation to the events leading up to the event that caused your injuries, along with difficulty talking, thinking or swallowing, as a result of the concussion. We want to keep you here to monitor you and the concussion to make sure no serious brain damage occurred, but you should be out within the next day or two. Sound good?" I nod my head and he smiles at me. "Buzz the nurse if you need anything."