Chapter Thirteen

During the picnic, food is served to us as we sit on carpets and I smile when Elizabeth offers an extra apple to me for Vesper, who hasn't left my side once even though I tried to get him to go to the other horses in the field.

All through the picnic Bash and I would have our eyes meet before looking away, our cheeks slightly redder; luckily no one seemed to noticed. The day continues peacefully, the meal ending and all the women conversing and moving from blanket to blanket.

When the dishes and cups have been cleared, the King stands up and taps a butter knife against his glass of wine, gaining everyone's attention,
"Ladies and gentlemen, the picnic is coming to an end so I want to tell you all what you are doing on the morrow. But first I want to proudly say that we succeeded in the hunt and dinner will consist of our game."

A chatter of applause fills the vast field,
"I also wanted to say that I was pleasantly surprised to see so many of this years ladies of the court willing to ride on horses instead of carriages, it showed me how adventurous and modern you all are compared to the ladies from when I was still a young prince."

Laughter crossed the field and the Queen rose to stand next to her King,
"Anyway, for the rest of the day, everyone is welcome to join me and my family for an afternoon in the gardens after you all are well rested. On the morrow, all the ladies in waiting and debutantes are asked to join me in the grand drawing room for embroidery and cards in the morning."

The King and Queen leave their carpet and their sons follow. I smile and climb onto Vesper, gripping his mane as he shakes his head and stretches out his legs before walking on.

"Willow, we'll meet you at the palace, and no forgetting this time."

I smile at my sister and nod,
"I would never."

She gives me a face of disbelief and I laugh as Vesper and I canter away, taking a different path to the palace than we came.

As I gallop on I hear hooves pound the ground behind me and when I turn around I see Pegasus fighting to reach my side, a determined Bash on his back. I laugh and slow to a walk, which he catches up to along with a few faces I didn't think to see, including the King and Crown Prince, I bow my head,

"Your Majesties, what can I do for you?"

The King smiles and his deep voice resonates out of his chest,

"We wanted to invite you to ride on the morrow, to remove you from your duties in the drawing room."

My eyes widen and I look at Bash, then Daniel and finally the King,

"Really? But the Queen emphasised at everyone should be there tomorrow?"

He shakes his head,
"Not to worry, we'll talk her around."

I smile and reply quickly:
"I would be honoured to join your ride."

Prince Daniel then speaks up,
"We'll see you in the stables after we break our fast."

The two of them gallop ahead, Bash staying by my side,
"You made an impression on them, Willow."

I nod as I watch the two riders shrink in the distance,
"I have been told that I have that effect on people."

He smiles before frowning and I tell Vesper to halt. Something was on his mind.

"I asked my father again about who I should marry after our conversation and all he said was -and I quote- 'Any woman in court who can handle your wild ways'."

I laugh and shake my head slightly,
"You will have a narrow list then."

He gives me a playful glare before it softens and he softly murmurs,
"And I think I have found one."

I barely hear it and may have heard it wrong,
"Pardon?"

His eyes widen and he shakes his head,
"How about we canter to the palace?"

I smile and nod, his comment still ringing in my ears. As Vesper starts to move ahead quickly I laugh and turn my head back to see Bash laughing with me, riding with a free face, free from stress, sadness, anger - any negative emotion.

When we arrive at the palace I don't stop until I reach the stables and only now do I realize that Bash didn't linger in the forest and rather came with me. I smile at him before giving him a confused glance,

"Didn't you want to ride back alone?"

"I'd rather ride back with you."

I giggle and take Vesper to his stall, putting on my skirt again and tying my hair into a chignon on the top of my head with the ribbon from before. I then brush Vesper and give him some sugar cubes.

"Willow?"

"Yes?"

"Do you think I will be able to ride without tack?"

I frown and walk out of Vesper's stall and towards Pegasus'.

"Why are you asking?"

He shrugs and looks at what he is doing and not at me,
"I'm having my doubts, I don't know how to do it, Pegasus doesn't know and I have to teach him."

I smile and rest my arms on the stable door,

"You can do it, and if you need help, you can ask me, I can even take you on another ride with me and Vesper, he won't let you mount alone but if I get on with you again he will be fine."

Bash nods and looks up from his brush, he gives me a small smile and I give Pegasus a sugar cube,
"I need to go to my sister, I'll see you in the gardens."

His smile widens and we say our farewells.

I rush through the servants halls until I see the door that secretly leads into the grand sitting room. I sneak in and walk into my sister's room from the proper doors.

Inside I can hear chaos and when I open the doors into Harper's room, I can see my suspicions are accurate, the three of them are  running around the room grabbing dresses and jewellery and shoes. When they see me they freeze for moments before I am pulled into the mess and am told to get Harper to the bathing room for a wash after the hunt.