thirty nine.

JETSON

"Hey baby girl, I was just calling to wish you a happy birthday. I can't make it today, but I promise we'll go out soon."

"Mhhh..okay"

The tone of McKenzie's voice told me she was disappointed that I couldn't attend her birthday celebration. She was accustomed to seeing me every year since she was able to recollect memories. Despite what me and Natalie went through, I took my role in McKenzie's life seriously, but as time passed I found it harder to stay in her life.

"Alright, thanks for trying anyway Jetson" Natalie said taking the phone back.

"No doubt. I'll talk to you later, gotta get back to work."

"Sure."

I could sense the same disappointment in Natalie's voice, telling me that her relationship with Donald must've gone down hill just that fast if she wanted me around.

Once the call was disconnected I headed back out of my office, throwing myself into the chaos which was our current case. The lieutenant was working on getting a warrant to search the entire premises of Jhonny's - as it was confirmed that Milo's car was no farther than a few feet from the strip club.

Jhonny clearly didn't clean up after himself as good as he thought, and the careless mistake would hopefully lead us to more. It was a long list of reasons the department was going after him, too many charges to count and up to a lifetime behind bars if I was to simplify it.

"What's the update on the warrant?" I asked stepping into the middle of the office.

"Judge Willard is still deliberating if the vehicle is probable cause to search the area. In the meantime, Cyrus has another tip." Lieutenant Ronald said gesturing to the detective.

Cyrus gave a smug expression, all eyes on him to reveal any information that would be helpful to the case that was going nowhere slowly.

"There's going to be a private party tonight, at the KOP mansion where Jhonny keeps his girls. If we can get in there and go full on UC, we're getting a head start while we're waiting on that warrant. If we find anything thats incriminating, say underage or undocumented girls, we can bring both him and them in."

"And do I even want to know how you got this tip?" Ronald asked the exact thing I was thinking.

Cyrus wasn't the most trustworthy, and I knew I wasn't the only one in the office to look at him sideways while on the job.

Besides little things on his record from his first years with the department which included obsessive force on a few arrests, he was known to be a pretty good cop who just loved to play bad boy.

"Let's just say I know a few people." He shrugged, "Now, the lab should be able to hack into his database and put two alias on the list - allowing us access. It's also a masquerade event, which is his signature for these types of parties to conceal identities between guests. I'll take Nunez with me since we've built the case together."

"Nice try, but Jetson - you're in," Ronald said pointing to me, "Go home and find your best suit."

"Lieutenant - with all due respect Young is still new to this. He's never been undercover, and you think Savage won't recognize the same seven foot man he saw just hours before?" Cyrus scoffed.

I chuckled under my breath, "I'm pretty sure your stench of cigarettes and mothballs will give your identity away just as fast, and how hard can it be."

"Then it's settled. Jetson, follow me to my office so I can vet you."

I nodded, following behind Ronald as the room full of eyes watched me.