chapter 36; goodnight, love

ELLIE CLUTCHED NERVOUSLY at Hershel's hand as she steadied him out on the courtyard, where he beamed from ear to ear with pride at his achievements

ELLIE CLUTCHED NERVOUSLY at Hershel's hand as she steadied him out on the courtyard, where he beamed from ear to ear with pride at his achievements. The blonde led him down out through the door, and glanced down at Daryl as he had been hard work with Rick alongside him. They connected their eyes for a brief moment, instantaneously causing a natural instinct to smile between them.

"You ready for me to let go?" Ellie asked the elder as she grinned at him, observing how well he had been balancing on his crutches.

"You bet," he stated as he eyed up an area of the courtyard to walk towards, and instantly managed to do it himself.

Ellie cheered loudly for the man, alerting the working group members surrounding them, particularly Maggie as she stood from afar with Beth and Coda. The three stared adoringly over at Hershel, observing his skills as he slowly made his way around the courtyard.

From afar, Ellie and Hershel heard Glenn's enthusiastic voice yell support for Hershel, which may have been too loud, almost alerting any walkers nearby, "Alright, Hershel!"

Ellie's eyes trailed over to Rick, who held the fence as he stared up the spectacle. It didn't appear to be much, but when put into the thought, there were always too many fences separating them off from one another. It was bound to induce danger, and it was only a matter of time until they'd discover this the hard way.

"Ready to race, Hershel?" Carl asked, a smirk playing at his lips as he tilted his hat upwards.

Hershel hesitated for a moment, before he flickered his eyes between the boy and the floor, "Give me another day, and I'll take ya home."

A simple joke gained several belly-laughs from the group, each observing the banter between the elder and the boy blossoming. It was a truly serene moment, and Ellie couldn't keep her eyes off the man who had warmed her heart, and her daughter, who was her heart.

"Deuteronomy 31:6," Hershel whispered to Ellie, breaking her from her thoughts.

Ellie raised an inquisitive her eyebrow at the man, and her mouth hung open slightly before she breathed out, "You heard that?"

"I heard it all," Hershel nodded, plastering a smile of gratitude on his face.

Ellie glanced down at her feet as she couldn't help but allow a gargantuan smile to creep onto her cherry lips. She cleared her throat, and simply brought the man into a warm embrace.

"I didn't know what else to say that could help you while you were unconscious," Ellie stated nervously, fiddling with the hem of her shirt. She then whispered, "Walk with the wise and become wise, for a companion of fools suffers harm."