Chapter 13: Searching For An Answer

Markus artwork by Yuki Wu

As another week passed, you knew you were in some serious trouble. You had not even been at this school for a term, and yet you had already fallen for two of the most popular guys. This was getting to be a major problem!

Even though your growing feelings were an issue in itself, Connor and Markus could not stop arguing every time they saw each other. Sometimes, it would simply be a dangerous glare, or it would escalate into a full blown argument. They never said anything especially cruel to each other, but the way they fought reminded you of siblings squabbling. And even though you were beginning to grow feelings for both Connor, and Markus, above all else, you just wanted them to learn to get along.

At your previous school, Eden high school, you were a little embarrassed to admit that you had been quite well known around the school. However, that popularity came with a price, and every now and then, an argument would break out. Now that you were finally out of that messy situation, you wanted nothing more than to spend your last school year in peace.

You were so lost in your thoughts, that you did not notice when Mr Andronikov spoke to you.

"[L/N]... Miss [L/N]..."

Connor gently touched your shoulder. "[F/N]."

You snapped up, and a few of the other students snickered.

"Does my class bore you [L/N]? If this is too easy for you, then perhaps you should be given extra work."

"S-Sorry sir, I was... umm..." You flushed as the other students laughed. Luckily, Mr Andronikov was very dedicated to his subject, and he turned his back on you, gesturing at the board. You didn't believe for a second that you would be off the hook, and knew that you would most likely have to stay after class.

As the teacher continued to discuss matters of genetic engineering, Connor leaned close to you, to whisper in your ear. You felt your face flush even more as Connor's warm breath tickled your cheek.

"What's wrong? You seem distracted."

You shook your head subtly, whispering, "I'm fine Connor. I'll tell you about it later."

Connor gave you a worried look, but he could say no more as the teacher turned to face the class again. You sighed inwardly, trying to stay focused. Matters of the past were still on your mind.

When class finally finished, you began to gather your text books. Just as you had anticipated, Mr Andronikov called you over, asking if you could stay after class. You gave Connor a sideways glance, as you rose to your feet and approached the teacher. Mr Andronikov was an intimidating looking man with a large beard, shaggy hair, and a bulging stomach. If he hadn't been a teacher, you could imagine that he would be the kind of person you could envision as a serial killer.

You clasped your arms around your textbooks, preparing for the lecturing you were likely about to receive. Before Mr Andronikov could say a word however, Markus entered the classroom, to your complete and utter surprise. He was not in this class. Had his class finished early... or had he been waiting for you?

"What is it Manfred?" Mr Andronikov asked, "If you don't mind, I just need a moment with Miss [L/N] here."

"I'm sorry sir, but Mr Anderson sent me. He said he needs to speak to [F/N]."

"This won't take a moment--"

"Apparently it was urgent. I shouldn't disobey a teacher..."

Markus trailed off, and gave a knowing gaze to Mr Andronikov. It seemed Markus had a strong influence over the teachers, and Mr Andronikov was clearly not impressed by that. Even still, he decided to dismiss you, telling you to keep up with your homework, and that he would be paying close attention to what you have to submit.