Trouvaille

Trouvaille; something lovely discovered by chance.

C H A P T E R    F I F T Y - E I G H T 

Noah's POV

At this very moment, Sydney had managed to make me so stunned that for once, my mind has completely stopped working. She had Lillies in one hand, and Lindt in the other, and both of them were my absolute favorite. She had gone all out, and I loved it. I was utterly enthralled, which I'm sure was very visible on my face now that I could literally feel all the blood rushing to my cheeks.

"What?" was all that I managed to blurt out as my eyes stared at the wide but somewhat grin that she had on my face.

"I know I went all out, I just wanted to surprise you, I hope it wasn't too sappy though," she said apprehensively.

"Are you kidding? This is so lovely, thank you so much, baby," I said, and she silently squealed. "But why is--"

"Yes, I'll tell you everything. Will you give me an answer to my question first?" she said, cutting me off, raising her eyebrows, awaiting an answer from me.

"What question?" I said, acting innocent and teasing her. She gave me a salty look, and I couldn't help but laugh at how cute she was. "Okay, ask me once more," I requested, and she complied.

"Noah, will you go on a date with me?" she said, smiling widely and extending the flowers and chocolates towards me.

"Well, thank God you manned up and finally asked. I thought this day would never come," I teased, thoroughly enjoying annoying her because I knew Sydney wasn't the type to do all this.

"That's it, the deal's off the table," she said, keeping the flowers and chocolates aside and trying to walk away as her cheeks turning more crimson every second. 

I caught her wrist and pulled her into my chest such that her face was an inch away from mine, and her breath hitched in her throat. It did wonders for my ego to know that I still had the same effect on her so many months later, that I always made her catch her breath in one motion. "I would love to go on a date with you," I replied to her question, and she smiled at me sheepishly, biting her lower lip. 

And then, I kissed her. I could hardly stay near her without maintaining some kind of contact; how could I ever resist kissing her? My self-control was basically non-existent when it came to Sydney. When her lips met mine, they fit perfectly, and I swear it was the most peaceful I had felt. The regular jolts of sparks ignited and made their presence evident in every part of my body, but I could hardly feel them because of the innumerable emotions that were conveyed through the kiss.

With Sydney, it was so easy to be grateful and believe that life, indeed, worked in extraordinary ways. It's like nothing else could even come close to bothering me when I was with her. With everything that had been going on, I was sure that being with Sydney was the only thing keeping me from completely falling apart. 

"Okay, so, I'll let you know when we're going after I finish planning the date?" I asked her as she walked toward the kitchen.

"What?" she steps halted, and she looked at me ridiculously. "Why would you plan the date? It's me who asked you out."

"Well, yeah, but I'm the guy so," I stopped mid-sentence, hoping she would comprehend what I was trying to convey.

"So what if you're a guy? Are you really being sexist right now?" she questioned, unbelievingly, and I shook my head vigorously because she had taken it the wrong way.

"No, that's not what I meant. It's just that I'm the guy, you know, it's my responsibility to do all this, make my girl feel special," I answered, scratching the back of my head sheepishly because I wasn't able to find the right words to express my point.