~36~ Mean Words and Broken People

"Ladies and gentlemen of the hallway, it's yearbook time" Farkle called out, as I walked over to him hand in hand with Zay.

"Hi, page 42." Riley said, handing someone their yearbook.

"Hi, pages 27, 34, and 58." Farkle said, handing someone else their yearbook. "You're doing too much. You should calm down. "

"Yearbooks! Find out who we are and what we really think about each other."

"You wanna know what I think about you?" Maya asked Lucas.
"No, I do not."

"But I wanna tell you."
"I don't think you need to. "
"I'm gonna do it anyway."
"Don't do it."
"It's been a while."
"I'm asking you not to do it."

"She's gonna do it. You wanna run, or you want it straight in the face?" I asked him.

"Well, I wanna run, but how would that look?" Maya started humming scales, ending each with a 'hurr'. "You guys wouldn't judge me if I run, right?" She continued. "Come on, man. There's always another option."

"Ha hurrrrrrr!" She screamed.

"You okay now?" Lucas and I asked her.

"Hmm. That was good." She said, satisfied with herself.

"You know else is good?" Riley said."Yearbooks. All of our classmates say what they think of us."

"Yearbook, find out how we'll be remembered." Farkle said, grabbing one and handing it to Lucas. "Guess what. You took another nice picture, you freak."

"Thanks, Farkle. How will you be remembered?" He asked, looking through the yearbook.

"Did they do it to you again?" Maya and I asked, looking over Lucas' shoulder.

"Most likely to be Farkle... Farkle."

"I didn't think I'd win it again this year, but I did." He sighed, and I gave him a side hug.

"What does that mean exactly, Farkle?" Riley asked.

"How should I know? They turned being me into a category."

"Hey, Riley won most likely to smile herself to death." Lucas said.

"Aw. Well, who wouldn't wanna go that way? I mean, when the time comes, why you gotta be a gloomy Gus?" The brunette replied, scoffing.

"Riles, I don't think they meant this as a good thing." Maya said uneasily.

"They're making fun of me, and they're making fun of you too." Farkle said. I grabbed a yearbook, going to flip through it.

"What?" Riley said, her face dropping into a smaller smile.

"Would you stop smiling?" Maya and I told her.

"I'm not smiling, Maya. This is my upset face. This is smiling." Her face grew into a wider grin.

"You know what? I don't care what they say." Farkle said, with a false brave voice.

"Neither do I." Riley said in the same tone as Farkle.

"I don't care what they say at all." Farkle said.

"Neither do I at all." She looked at the book, before looking at Farkle in confusion. "How did this stuff even get in here? We're the editors."

"Wow, we must have very poor quality control."

"What did you get, huckleberry?" I asked Lucas.

"I got most likely to be okay with anything that ever happens."

"Well, how do you feel about that?" Maya asked.

"Well, actually, I'm okay with that. Oh! " He turned to me."What about you, Kenz?"

I flipped through the book, before finding my name. I looked at the sentence, my face falling.

"What is it?"

"Most likely to disappear." Zay read aloud, turning to me. "Kenz..."

"I'm going to the bathroom..." I said shakily. "I'll see you in class..."

~<3~

"Deep breaths deep breaths." Kenzie muttered, inhaling and exhaling rapidly. She looked at herself in the mirror, letting out a small sob.

She looked at the broken girl staring back at her in the mirror, tears streaming down her face. Why couldn't she be normal. Why did her life feel like nothing but madness. Her long fingernails dug into her palms as she shut her eyes, leaning on the wall and sliding down it to sit on the floor. Her mind raced with thoughts, all of them filled with self hatred and depression. Suddenly, the door opened, causing her to snap her head up.

"Z-zay." The girl said, trembling."Y-you can't be in h-here."

"I don't care right now, Kenz." He said, sitting on the floor next to her and embracing her tightly as she cried into his chest, still clutching her palms tightly, as Zay whispered words of reassurance in her ear on the floor of the girl's bathroom.  Just a broken girl, and a boy who's heart ached for her.