Chapter 3

Their eyes stayed glued to mine. I quickly looked away and picked up Analia since she was getting nervous and was getting pushed past by people talking.

"Maddie is nice, she says that she had a baby girl that's the same age as me!" Analia excitedly shouted. Everyone turned and started laughing but soon got back to their conversations.

  Noah strode over to us and took Analia from me. She snuggled into his arms. I lent against his side and closed my eyes. I took a deep breath in, despite what some people may think, it was nice to be socialising and to have so many people about. It was nice to have a distraction from the reality of what our lives had become.

  The boy with blue eyes made his way over to Noah, me and Analia so we broke apart. Noah grabbed my hand reassuringly and I was immediately reminded of Mason.

"I'm Caden, it's nice to meet you all," He said with a smirk.

  I smiled at him and was about to say hello, but Noah beat me to it.

"I'm Noah, these are my sisters, Aaryn and Analia." Noah said whilst placing Analia back on the floor. She gave him a disgusted look, annoyed that she was no longer being carried, so she scuffled off to find Lucas or Uncle James.

"So where are you guys from?" Caden asked, tilting his head curiously. He had noticed our British accents.

"London, but we moved here two years ago now, for our Dad's business." Caden nodded at Noah's answer.

"Noah! Come here for a minute," our Uncle ushered him over, probably to talk about the business, since Noah would officially be working beside our Uncle now.

"How comes you live with your Uncle and Aunt?" Caden asked.

My breath caught in my throat. He had obviously been kept in the dark about our situation.

"Our parents and brother died in an accident three months ago now," I said, my voice cracking slightly towards the end of the sentence.

"Fuck, I'm sorry. If I had known I wouldn't have asked!" He exclaimed quickly.

"It's fine, they're gone, and they aren't coming back anytime soon. So, we all just must carry on." I said looking down at the floor.

  He nodded and seconds later we were all ushered into the dining hall. Yes, hall. I thought the same thing.

  We all took our seats and I was placed between Lucas and Caden. The food was brought out and placed in front of us all.

"So, Caden, why were you staring at my sister earlier?" Lucas asked calmly, while passing more food around. Caden chocked on his drink but recovered quickly and placed it back on the table.

"Excuse me?" He said, a stunned look in his eyes. Though he began fidgeting in his chair nervously. If anything, I'd just be glad it wasn't Noah who saw him. Otherwise Caden wouldn't be sat at the table right now.

"Don't play stupid with me, you heard what I said. Answer the question," Lucas said bluntly.

"She caught my eye that's all," He mumbled quietly, whilst removing his blazer. I watched as his arms flexed.

  Lucas rolled his eyes but nodded and continued with eating his meal. Me, Charlotte and Maddison made small talk throughout the meal. I learnt that Zane was twenty-eight and was working alongside his Father. Zane was also married with a son. He spoke endlessly of his wife, Kelsey, and his son, Carter, who had just turned two.

  Maddison was twenty-three and was starting med-school soon. She had been planning on moving to London but her dream school in New York had offered her a place, so she was staying in the States. Charlotte was fifteen, so two years younger than me, and was amazing at drama and was planning on moving to a performing arts school.

  I also learnt that me, Caden and Charlotte would all be attending the same private school. Charlotte began rambling about how the uniforms were gross, but the cute boys made up for it.

"How's Nick?" My aunt suddenly turned the focus to me.

Caden's eyes suddenly looked up to meet mine. I took a deep breath in.

"We haven't spoken in a while, since the funeral. Things have been busy, especially with him moving to Massachusetts to study at Harvard." I said with a sad smile.

"That's unfortunate! I'm sure he'll call soon though. You two were practically made for each other!" I laughed half-heartedly at her remark.

  The truth was rumours were flying round my friend group that he had met some girl at Harvard. I hadn't accumulated the courage to ask him about it, so his silence was basically confirmation that I was no longer enough for him.

  My phone began ringing inside my jacket pocket, so I pulled it out.

"Aunt Bella, my apologies can I take this call?" I murmured as I began to stand. She nodded and I wandered out into the main hallway.

"Nick what do you want?" I said calmly.