Chapter Twenty-Six: Dare to Die

"There are all kinds of courage," said Dumbledore, smiling. "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends. I therefore award ten points to Mr Neville Longbottom."

_Professor Dumbledore, Philosopher's Stone_

Torn between doing the honourable thing and the easy, Ginevra made a quick decision. She had no loyalties to this era's Dumbledore. By Salazar, she didn't even like him! During her time in 1943, she had succeeded in obtaining two friends, much like in 1991. Tom Riddle and Abraxas Malfoy. What a duo.

Perhaps due to her new-found courage and recklessness, Ginevra decided to seek out Tom after their classes that day. Ironically, she found him prowling the corridors by the Slytherin common room.

"Tom!" She called.
He saw her and came over.
"Yes, Granger?"
"I want a word with you," she said boldly.
He arched an eyebrow in a way that said 'really?'

"Very well," Tom responded drily. "Shall we go somewhere private?"
"Yes, let's."
They convened in an old empty dungeon.

"What did you want to discuss, Granger?"
"I know about you Tom."
Any calm he had felt visibly vanished. The amicable hold on her arm tightened.
"Really, Granger?"

His tone was still light with veiled warmth, a grim contradiction to their current location.
"Yes," she stated firmly.
If she backed out now, she would never say it. Likely, not out of choice.

"You, Tom Riddle, killed Myrtle Warren. You went to the Chamber of Secrets via the passageway in the girls' bathrooms, recruited the basilisk and allowed it to travel through the plumbing to kill its victim."

Ginevra said it all very quickly, hoping he wouldn't kill her now. He was quiet for an infinite amount of time. His facial expressions, if he'd ever possessed any, now fled him and his skin was deathly pale.

"You know, Granger, I always wondered why you weren't put in Ravenclaw originally."
She breathed deeply, tensing.

"You have brains but also the courage and conviction to use them. A lion's heart with an eagle's mind."

She plucked up the courage he said she had to look him in the eyes and they betrayed nothing.

"But what can I do with you? You knew I killed Myrtle and you knew I framed that oaf for it. You knew all this at the time. What's changed?"

His gaze seemed searching but Tom already had the answer.
"You have changed because you know that I have killed more people and I enjoyed it."

She shivered and he laughed, goosebumps springing up on her arms.
"Courage, Granger, courage," he sneered.

Ginevra steeled herself and spoke again, hesitatingly.
"You killed_ your grandmother, your grandfather and your_ own_ father. You killed them all in cold blood."
"I did," Tom grinned.

She drew herself up with fire in her eyes.
"Just for a bloody Horcrux!"
Here he actually stopped.
"Will wonders never cease?"
"I guess they won't," she hissed.

If Ginevra had ever believed that Tom Marvolo Riddle would kill someone, it was now. He was seething and gripped his wand (that had suddenly appeared) in colourless spidery hands.

"Kill me, then," she said, defeated. "What have I got to lose?"
"Plenty," he replied, eyes glinting. "You know why?"
She shook her head numbly.

"I have heard... about Harry and Ron," he commented pleasantly, twirling his wand like a baton between his fingers.
"What_ How?"
"A handsome boy will always have friends in the girls' dormitory.

"You see, Granger, you mumble in your sleep. How hard was it for me to simply bribe a girl to give me information on your deepest desires and secrets? How hard was it to find out that you have nightmares virtually every night, and sob your heart out to someone called Ginny?"

Ginevra was frozen to the spot, horrified.
"No, Ginny_"
"She will undoubtedly be useful to me in the future. Goodbye, Ginevra Granger."
He raised his wand.

"No!" She shouted.
Tears rolled down her cheeks.
"If," her voice shook, "if I am to die, I want to die by the right name. The correct name."

"It is as I guessed," Tom stated matter-of-factly. "Tell me, then."
"My name," she said proudly, "is Hermione Jean Granger, born to Muggle parents."

Tom flinched in disgust but didn't lower his wand.
"Now, any final words?"
Hermione smiled sadly. He began to speak the incantation.
"Ava_"

"You didn't need their names to get me to stay quiet."
He stopped.
"You didn't need to know about Harry or Ron or Ginny to get me to keep my mouth shut."
He stared.

"I don't like what you're doing, Riddle, but I'm not foolish enough to stop you. No-one is. You are the greatest wizard the world has ever seen."
He seemed shocked.

"And I will stand by your side for as long as I can."

A.N. Erm so... It's been awhile. And there are no excuses, unless you count no motivation as an excuse.

Hopefully this chapter at least partly makes up for any inconvenience/anger/distress. xD

I'm so sorry for the wait but please comment ANYTHING (insults, recommendations, advice and especially constructive criticism) and vote if you want to. :)