[ 10. ]

Their conversations had grown easier over the days since their fight. Asami had a huge weight lifted off of her chest. He was kinder than she thought he would be. She was happier and she was almost comfortable calling him a friend.

Todoroki began to open up to Saito, although a slow and painstaking process. He mentioned his sister, Fuyumi. They started off sharing their favorite things.

"You have to tell me your favorite food, Todoroki," Asami had said, while sitting with her legs up on the couch and reading. Todoroki was looking over cases on his computer on the other side of the couch.

"Cold soba."

"Why didn't you tell me this earlier? I've only made it hot."

It was conversations with her slightly nagging him on, maybe nudging him with her foot when he wouldn't answer. She was only a shell of the person she was around him previously. He really liked who she was, even if he wasn't obvious about it.

A crisp Saturday morning hit and the frigid temperatures had begun to fall. "I'm going out to the shops, do you need anything?"

She asked, while wrapping an emerald green scarf around her neck. Todoroki shook his head, sipping from the tea he made that morning. He wanted to show her he was adept at something.

Then, she was gone.

Asami walked on her own, a new spring in her step. She had calculated every meal in her head and the cost, which Todoroki didn't understand, but she wanted to budget. Even if they had a lot of money to spare.

She hadn't heard from her father though. So her heart was a little downtrodden as she looked through the fresh vegetables and fruits.

"Hey! It's you," a familiar voice tugged her from looking at the groceries. It was the same man that told her she was pretty days ago. How am I running into him again?

"And it's you," she responded. She got a better look at him. He was a tall broad man, with a sweater and a jacket on this time. He had short black hair and a brilliant smile. Her heart thudded.

"You left a little suddenly last time," he said, starting to walk alongside her. "Can I finally get your name?"

She hesitated before responding, glancing at the ground. "Hajime Asami."

"Asami, huh? A pretty name for a pretty girl," he said, a blush spreading across her features. "Takai Kenta, at your service."

He winked, hopping in front of her and doing a ridiculous bow. People started staring and Asami burrowed her face in her scarf, trying not to die of embarrassment.

"That was a little excessive, don't you think?" Asami continued with her bags in hand.

"Not at all," he said, shoving his hands in his jacket pockets. "Do you need help with those?"

"No, no, I got it."

They walked in silence, but he kept glancing over every so often. Then, it happened. He moved in front of her, causing her to pause. She took a step back, blinking up at him.

"Have coffee with me, Saito."

Back at the apartment, Todoroki paced with his tea. He was thinking about everything. His father, their growing hero agency, and more importantly— the charity ball they would have to attend. He didn't tell Asami about it because he didn't want to concern her.

She would have to find a dress soon, though. And he would have to present her. Which, to him, was the worst part. His father was expecting their first real public appearance as a 'couple'.

He felt compelled to tell her but she seemed so happy, he didn't want to crush that. Did he actually care about her feelings that greatly?
It was becoming a problem in his eyes. The worst part, he would have to hold her close.

Too close.

He flopped down on the couch, staring at the ceiling again. Todoroki didn't know what to do. Every time she did something, he started to feel an ache in his chest. Something was happening and he didn't like it.

Like, that morning, when she had just woken up and came out of the bedroom to greet him. She still had sleep in her eyes and her hair was frazzled, but her smile woke him right up. That wasn't supposed to happen in arranged relationships.

He even made tea for her. Who was he? Why was he letting this happen? He checked his watch, wondering where she was, images of her emerald scarf engulfing his brain.

Saito had her hands wrapped around a cinnamon latte, laughing with her new— friend? But he kept telling her she was pretty. Was this a date?

She didn't know and didn't care. Asami had almost completely forgotten about her reality, feeling normal again for the first time in her life. It turned out he was around her age at twenty.

He was a college student, looking toward becoming a entrepreneur and starting his own business. They talked about so many things, her mind entranced by his smooth talking and dimples.

She checked the time and found that she had to leave. They exchanged numbers and he walked with her for a little bit.

"Why that color green? It's kind of bright, don't you think?" He said, kicking his feet ahead of him.

"You think so?" She looked down at it, almost regretting her last minute decision to put it on.

"It takes away from your eyes," he said, giving another wink and she blushed again. It had become a game of this.

He finally left her and she was walking with an even peppier step than before. Was this it? Had the universe finally opened her doors? When she opened the door, she immediately took off her scarf.

"Todoroki! I'm making soba tonight," she said, smiling brightly as he typed away on his computer.

"You don't have to do that, Saito, just because I said it's my favorite."

"That's just too bad, isn't it?" Asami started to put everything away.

Todoroki got to his feet, walking into the kitchen to help her. She turned to him and he noticed a pink flush on her cheeks.

"I have to tell you something."

He nodded. "And so do I."

"