Chapter Thirty-one

"Girls," Mister Kupka said after dinner. "Your dresses have arrived just in time."

"Oh my!" Beth jumped up, clapping her hands together. "I was afraid they wouldn't arrive in time for adjustments!"

"Harper, Holden, bring in the boxes."

The two men entered, carrying boxes. Even my heart was pounding. The big event was in less than a week, and we had ordered it from catalogues, so we didn't know how the dresses would look on us yet. The masters had paid for it, as a Christmas present, so it was the most expensive article of clothing I've ever owned—and would ever own.

"Let's go upstairs to try it on," Clo said, then gestured for us to go upstairs. Giggling, Beth grabbed my hand and pulled me up the stairs. When we reached our room, we took the boxes from Harper and Holden, thanked them, and then slammed the door shut, eager to try them on.

We opened the boxes, stripped, and began changing into the dresses. Even Rhiannon did it with us without us having to usher her to do it.

When we all finished helping each other button or lace things up, we stood in a circle facing each other and asked nervously,

"How is it?"

Then at once, we began answering.

"Yours looks sophisticated, Rhiannon! But maybe it could use something," Beth said. It was indeed more on the modest side.

"Some ribbons would look nice," I suggested.

"Isn't yours also a bit plain, Shuyan?" Clo asked me. My blue dress was also free of any lace, pattern, or bustles. "Maybe I'll add something to mine, too."

"Gosh, red looks wonderful on you, Clo," Beth said, and then to me, "and blue on you, Shuyan."

"But the skirt is so awfully heavy," Clo complained.

"That's why we need adjustments," Rhiannon said, sighing. "I guess we all need to do some sewing."

"If you don't mind, I can do everything," I said. "I'm confident in my sewing and embroidery, and even a bit of dressmaking. That's if you don't have any issues with it."

"Really? I would love that!" Beth squealed, holding my hands in hers. "I'll do something for your hair on the day in return!"

"And I'll do your face!" Clo added, smiling.

"I don't have anything to offer, but I can do any chores," Rhiannon said. I laughed.

"Then it's settled."

In a week, I hurried to make the according changes and additions to their dresses. After dinner, the first thing I did was fix their dress. Eugene understood, as I told him prior to him that I had a lot of sewing to do, and he was busy too, sending invitations and checking which guests were coming and which were not.

Since it was the first ball in years, a lot of curious people were coming, and the whole house was under a lot of pressure. The valets, too, were busy polishing silverware and priming up their masters, and we maids had to clean every corner of the mansion.

When Christmas Eve finally arrived, we servants had an early special feast and then the valets went to greet the guests. We, on the other hand, rushed to dress up in our fixed dresses, and Beth hurried to do our hair and Clo our makeup. We were all made up like noblewomen, and I was sure that one wouldn't be able to tell we were maids from how we looked.

Rhiannon was in her dark green dress, with newly-added satin ribbons at the bodice and laced hem of her outer-skirt, and long white gloves reaching the elbow. Beth also pinned up Rhiannon's golden hair like the noble ladies wore it, and Clo added faint blush to her pale cheeks and a little rouge to her lips, so she looked different from her usual self.