Chapter 1 - Life in Tokyo

This chapter is dedicated to may1697! Happy reading!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sara pov: [name means further]

"As expected of Tokyo's youngest and best heart surgeon!" Hihara san, a famous journalist commented as I exited the third motion sensing glass doors of the operation theatre. I smiled and bowed, thanking him for his compliment.

"She is the best in our country," Watase sensei, the director of this hospital and an ex-surgeon said with a wide smile, "and QWE Hospital is lucky to have her as one of the Head Surgeons of the Cardiothoracic Department."

"It must be so, Sensei," Hihara san said. "Is it true that she will soon become the Chief Doctor of the Cardiothoracic Department? It's a rumor we happened to hear somewhere, so..."

"Well, we are considering it," Watase sensei said with a slow nod of his head, "but we might hold it off for a year or two since Yukimura sensei isn't even twenty yet."

"Ah, of course, of course! But I'm sure she'll be one of the best Chief Doctors QWE Hospital has had, considering her skills," Hihara san agreed with a laugh. "Now would it be alright if we sat down for a proper interview, Yukimura sensei?"

"Sure. Why don't you take a seat in my office and I will be there in just a few minutes? I would like to change out of my surgery clothes before the interview."

"Of course! We'll be in your office," he said with a bow before ushering his assistant to follow him. When they were out of sight, I closed my eyes and let out a tired sigh.

"You could postpone the interview if you want to, Sara chan," Watase sensei said as he gazed at me with a kind smile. He was not only the director of this hospital but also a father figure to me who had guided me during my days as an intern. "I'm sure you're quite exhausted after seeing through three surgeries without as much as a few hours of sleep in between. In fact, I was quite worried that you wouldn't be able to perform at your best today in front of the Press – you know how dramatic they can get with even the smallest things."

"I am a little tired but I can put up with a few questions before I take a break," I answered, smiling.

"Don't forget to relax every now and then, Sara chan – you're still young and you need to take time off for yourself," he pressed. "It must be tough having to live such a hectic life when other girls your age are busy enjoying themselves."

"I've come to accept this lifestyle, Sensei. Besides, saving the lives of people is thoroughly rewarding," I replied and then excused myself with a bow.

I headed to the change rooms and got into my dark blue jeans and semi-formal t-shirt over which I wore my white doctor's coat. I put my stethoscope over my shoulder and looked into the mirror once to make sure my hair looked okay. Inhaling deeply, I walked out of the change rooms and to my office that was on the second floor. I took a seat at my desk and smiled at the two journalists who sat opposite to me.

"You can begin your interview, Hihara san," I coaxed and he nodded. He placed small hand-held recorder on the table before speaking.

"That was a really amazing surgery to watch, Yukimura sensei! I don't know much in medicine but the other doctors who were watching the surgery said you were very precise."

"I just did my job as best as I could. I've had excellent teachers and seniors to guide me and make me as good as I am today," I answered honestly.

"I see! We've also heard that you have done a specialization course in Herbalism. We're curious to know why you would consider old-age knowledge during this modern era."