Chapter 13 - Wolfe

This was a fucking mistake. My jaw clenches when I follow Melanie's finger that's pointing out the window at her building to show me where it is. And guess where the fuck it is? In a shit-hole neighbourhood that isn't making my leaving her any easier. What the hell is she doing living in a place like this by herself? I know she can handle herself but fuck...she shouldn't have to.

"Seriously?" I ask her. I keep my voice low, scared that I'll be overheard. Just because I can talk when I'm with Melanie, doesn't mean I'm ready for the world to hear me. Not even fucking close to ready. The thought alone breaks me out into a fucking sweat.

"What?" She scowls. "You don't get to judge me. I'm doing the best I can."

"I know," I sigh reluctantly, realizing what a dick I probably sound like. Maybe I shouldn't be talking at all. I clearly don't know what the fuck to say. "But...after last night, I am not comfortable leaving you alone."

She side-glances me. "I'll live, big guy. I've survived without you many years and I'll survive this too."

I pull in a breath and try to stay patient. The past day has been more than either of us can handle and after our talk in the kitchen, I've royally pissed her off. I'm walking a fine line with her right now. "Can I spend today with you? To make sure you will be okay?"

There's a pause and I look over at her to find her staring out the window again. I know she needs a minute so I stop the car and lean back in my seat, impatiently drumming my fingers on my thigh. I don't know what I'm going to do if she says no. I can't just leave her. She was fucking attacked and now she's in her neighbourhood that's in some pretty shitty shape and I'm supposed to assume she'll be safe? I know it's not my business, that I'm overstepping, but I can't fucking help it. I meant what I told her earlier — I care about her too much. No matter how many times she pushes me away it's not enough to actually keep me away, whatever the fuck that means.

"Where'd you go those two weeks?" She asks quietly, breaking the silence.

I kind of expected her to ask but hoped she wouldn't. I've already done enough to scare her away in the past twenty-four hours and I don't want to give her another reason. But I know I owe her my honesty because she's asking. Melanie never asks but right now, she's asking.

"The day of our last appointment—"

"It's because I made you take those pictures, right?" She interrupts with a pained expression. "Shit. I knew it."

"No, not that." I turn in my seat to face her. "That was a shitty experience but I chose to do it. It is not on you whatsoever."

Her brows come together. "Then?"

I blow out a breath and run an agitated hand over my hair, trying to find the right words to explain what was going on in my head. It's been decades since I've had to vocalize what I'm thinking. I'm not sure I even know how to. It doesn't help that Melanie keeps eyeing my arms with a look in her eyes that isn't exactly innocent, distracting me. I have to fight a smile knowing that even when she's pissed off she's still attracted to me. Sometimes I wonder why she's attracted to me at all. I can understand girls showing interest in me for my size because that tends to be a common reason but I don't have a pretty boy face whatsoever. I look...mean. Unapproachable.

"What?" She murmurs and I realize I zoned out on her. I do that way too fucking often but I can't help it. She intrigues the fuck out of me.

"That day," I continue and force myself to stay on track. "I almost talked."

Her brows go up in surprise and she turns to face me, drawing her legs up on the seat and waiting for me to continue.

"It freaked me the fuck out, Melanie." I ignore the way her mouth twists down at the use of her full name. She's going to have to get used to it. "I haven't talked since I was five years old, not to anyone besides myself. That day...that was the day I realized you are probably the only person that understands me when I don't speak a word. When I was freaking the fuck out from having my picture taken, you picked up on it instantly and got me out of there. It was an intense realization and I could not help it — I almost spoke."