XVIII

"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror –
The wide brown land for me!"
― Dorothea Mackellar

"I love a Sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains. But I've gotta tell ya mate, I like it better when it rains.

The countryside is dying and there's just no end in site, and just to rub salt in the wounds, the bush has caught alight.

The landscape is on fire from Brisbane to the Gong and everybody's asking "where the hell did we go wrong?

But we can get through this one if we help each other out, take care of your neighbour, that's what Aussies are about.

The rain is going to fall again, the good times will return. But living in Australia means at times it's going to burn.

So if you need a helping hand, just give a mate a call. We're all here to help you out and catch you when you fall.

The RFS, the SES, the firey's, and police, all put their lives upon the line to help to keep the peace.

So hats off to these heroes and thanks for all you do and I hope when this is over we can make it up to you!"

- Troy Gerdes 2019.

---- 

XVIII.

Eliza often wondered why she could not keep her mouth shut. She was not so much concerned about the almost drowning part of her day. That had been rather fun, aside from the possible death, and Captain Buckley jumping in the water to save her had been exhilarating.

But then she had to ruin what had developed into what she hoped was a mutual respect by opening her big mouth. What person ever liked to be described as tortured? And even if one was tortured, to have it pointed out and questioned so bluntly was ever so thoughtless and crass.

Eliza was so ashamed, and ever so embarrassed.

She had run back aboard the ship, but really did not know where she could go to hide. She was soaking wet and needed to dry out in the sun, but the captain would surely be back soon. Eliza decided to go below deck. Even if her clothing took longer to dry, that was far better than having to face the captain's ire.

Eliza immediately climbed down the ladder, leaving a wet trail as she went. Perhaps it was a good thing that she was sopping, as one could not tell that she had tears running down her face.

Oh, why was she so upset? It was not like she had ever minded what she had said in the past. She had both snidely and openly insulted people in the past, often to annoy her mother, and she had never minded.

Eliza wanted Katy. She wanted her sister desperately. Katy would know what to say to make it better, and to smooth over her insult to the captain. Eliza did not want him to be angry with her, or thinking ill of her in any way. It almost felt unbearable.

Eliza was so preoccupied with her turmoil that she had not noticed that she was not alone on the lower deck. She had walked directly into Captain Buckley's first mate, Jackie Despard, who, upon seeing her, immediately grabbed a hold of his rosary and uttered something in French. If Eliza had bothered to listen during her mother's lessons, she might have understood what he said.

"Forgive me, Mr Despard," Eliza said apologetically, her voice thick and obvious that she was upset.

Jackie had scarce spoken two words to Eliza since she had come aboard the ship. His superstitions, combined with his religious beliefs, made him frightened of her, Eliza thought.