16.

The Hufflepuff common room was always the ideal temperature for the house residents

The Hufflepuff common room was always the ideal temperature for the house residents. It was a cool breeze on a hot June afternoon, or a toasty warmth hugged the students on a frosty January night. Ever changing, there was one consistency: it was always just right.

However, it wasn't the magic of the room that melted Fiona's icy demeanor when she entered.

Her talk with Fred had calmed her momentarily, though not enough to deter the righteous desire to tell off her brother and her (so-called) friends for denying her the chance to help.

That desire vanished the moment she heard Cedric's shaky greeting and assurance that he was prepared for the task. The (passionate yet aggressive) speech she had drafted in her mind was forgotten and replaced with a longing to protect Cedric from all the dangers he would soon have to face.

The group of Hufflepuff sixth year students stayed cooped up in the common room during dinner, practicing transfiguration on all of the furniture in the room. After a couple of hours the room was filled cats and raccoons scurrying in between their legs.

"I think it has to be a bit bigger," Cedric said after another pillow was transfigured into sunflower colored raccoon.

Fiona made her way towards his voice, tripping over a cat (that had once been a lamp) and landing sprawled out on the couch in front of her. "We've got all night, we'll keep at it until it's right," she assured him between giggles from the couch.

The hours ticked away, and the night slowly faded unto the early hours of the morning. After rest of the Hufflepuff students had gone to bed Fiona and Cedric remained awake, sipping on hot tea as the fire crackled beside them. She deplored her outburst, suddenly. How quickly she became angry with her brother. It seemed so petty.

"Are you nervous?" Fiona asked timidly.It was a stupid question, how could he not be nervous. Cedric fell silent, his eyes glazed over, blankly watching the fire consume a stack of logs.

"Yeah," He replied slowly. It was the first time he was able to admit it out loud. Fiona nodded.

"But are you prepared?" She asked while holding her teacup close to her face, the steam from the tea gently kissing her cheek.

"I think so, actually," Cedric laughed, despite the feeling of unease that had settled in his mind.

"You're going to do great Ced," Fiona said. Surprising herself, as she actually believed the words she spoke. "I can feel it."

Cedric looked down at the empty teacup in his hands, a silent smile spread across his face as he nodded to himself.

"Thanks, Fee." Cedric said, still smiling.

Nox, Fiona's black cat emerged form the girls dormitory and prowled towards the twins grandly. His friendly meow alerted the two of his presence. With a chesty purr he settled himself in Fiona's lap. His wispy fur tickled Fiona's toes.