Good Things Come in Pairs

Summary: Steve isn't quite sure what to think about the cute redhead who just so happens to be his lab partner and sits by him in nearly all his classes, but eventually he decides she's really pretty sweet. It isn't necessarily his fault he has a crush on her from day one, but he's pretty sure that's the last thing she needs right now if the subtle signs she has someone else in her life already are true. Plot twist: that someone else happens to be a toddler and Natasha definitely needs all the extra help she can get (an easy excuse for Steve to visit more often once he learns about it).

There she was again: the girl from first block English who sat right beside him even when there were at least ten other available seats.  Her red hair was pretty noticeable and she had a large flask of what Steve figured was black coffee swinging from her hand.  The second she spotted him, he knew she was about to head to the empty seat beside him.  He casually tossed a notebook on top of the desk as another person approached him and continued pulling out his pencils for the class.

"Is that seat taken?"  the girl asked, pointing to the desk with his notebook.  Steve smiled and shook his head.  "Then why'd you throw your notebook on it?"

"Figured you'd hunt me down and thought it'd be nice to at least try and save it for you,"  he replied, taking his notebook back.  She gave him a small smile and sat in the seat beside him.  "So, since we have at least two classes together, I figure I should at least introduce myself."  Extending a hand towards her, he said, "I'm Steve.  Steve Rogers."

"Nice to meet you, Steve Rogers,"  she said, accepting his handshake.  "I'm Natasha Romanoff."

"Nice to meet you,"  Steve replied.  Natasha started pulling out her own books and pencils while Steve carefully labeled the front of his notebook so as not to get confused by which book belonged to which class.  He was about to turn and ask Natasha what she was majoring in, but the teacher walked to the front of the room and called for everyone's attention.  He would just ask her later.

* * * * *

Three classes.  She had three classes with the cute blond boy and he'd saved her seats in at least two of them.  She had almost walked straight to the back of the class in English, but the teacher had called for everyone to take their seats and in a panic, she'd just sat in the seat closest.  It had just been luck that when she walked into her afternoon class later that day, she had spotted him sitting in the middle of the room near the end of the row.  Of course, by then she was intrigued and Clint had told her to try and make friends in her classes in case she ever had to miss a day, so really it had been logical to sit next to him again and befriend him.  She hadn't expected to walk into her Advanced Marine Biology class on Tuesday right before lunch and see him sitting with his notebook on an empty desk beside him.  After discovering three out of her five classes were with that Steve Rogers boy, she'd made the decision to try and be his friend.  Even if he wasn't nice enough to get homework for her if she ever skipped, it would be nice to not sit next to a stranger every day.

"You know Rogers went to high school with us, right?"  Clint said after she'd relayed the short story to him Tuesday night.  Natasha frowned, not having recognised him at all.  "Yeah, he was super skinny and sick the first two years, so he hardly ever showed up to class.  Then he moved to New York with his mom."

"How do you know this but I don't?"  Natasha argued.  Clint raised an eyebrow at her.

"I have eyes and ears everywhere,"  he replied vaguely.  Natasha clearly didn't care for that excuse and rolled her eyes.  "It's true.  I'm friends with everyone, so I know everything."

"Then you'll know why Nadya was asking about being Merida for Halloween even though that movie is too scary for a two-year-old?"  Natasha asked.  Clint promptly changed the subject.