Chapter Thirty-Six: No Breath to Breathe

"Expect sadness

"Expect sadness

like

you expect rain.

both,

cleanse you."

― Nayyirah Waheed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up only to freeze.

I was still in the Slytherin dungeons.

In the Slytherin boy dorms.

In Tom Riddle's bed.

I was hyperventilating.

"Calm down, Dumbledore." Tom snaps from his sleeping position beside me. My hearts warm slightly at his consideration. He'd slept without a warm blanket for the night just so I wouldn't feel uncomfortable at the fact that we'd been sharing a bed.

"You woke me up." He scowls, eyes still closed. "What time is it you insufferable fool?"" He snarls at me, making me roll my eyes.

"It's around five in the morning," I whisper back at him.

"Good enough. You need to leave before anyone sees you." He orders, moving to grab the blanket off me. I laugh and give his shoulder a little tap.

I move to face him, and his eyes snap forward, eyeing me in disregard. The notion has me smiling. "Thank you, Tom," I whisper and hop down to put my shoes on.

He grabs my arm, stopping me. I turn around to see him sitting up. His grey shirt was crumpled, and his hair was all over the place. The sight has me stifling a laugh. Guess the perfect Tom Riddle could have imperfections too.

My eyes meet his, and I tilt my head in confusion. "Yeah?"

"Get some sleep." He answers me, voice hoarse. "I don't want to see you in the Great Hall before nine. You'll ruin my mood." He snaps at me and then falls back into his bed.