Chapter 39

Rayna's POV

My eyes fluttered open, only to be met with darkness. The kind where you can't even see two inches in front of you. The kind that's cold and uninviting. So dark, that I couldn't even see with my enhanced vision.

I groaned and reached for my head. Funny thing; I couldn't. My arms seemed to have been restrained, along with my legs. That's when I noticed I was sitting in a chair with the feeling of a thick rope around my torso, keeping me from moving. My arms were tied down to the arm rests while my legs were secured to the legs of the  chair.

My heartbeat started to increase in pace. How did I get here? I asked myself. I tried to think back to what happened but my mind was fuzzy. I couldn't remember.

I pulled on the ropes around my wrists but it was no use. They were tight.

The aching on the back of my head started to increase, making me groan. I leant my head back, resting it on the chair and stared at the ceiling. Familiar pangs of pain spread throughout my chest. I couldn't figure out what they were for. All I knew was that I felt empty.

No matter how much I tried to dwell upon what had happened and how I got here, it was to no avail.

I heard a loud creak as a huge door opened behind me. It let in beams of light from the other side. I saw a silhouette of a man in the light. Then, at the sound of a switch flipping, light filled the room. I had to squeeze my eyes shut and look down to avoid my eyes from burning.

Footsteps echoes behind me. I opened my eyes and got a clear view of the ropes that surrounded me. What also caught my eye were the different wires that were connected to various parts of my body.

The footsteps got closer until I saw a pair of black shoes in front of me. The man knelt down and gripped my chin between his fingers, forcing me to look into his dark brown orbs. I took in all of his features and then...

I remembered.

The note.

The forest in the east border.

Orion followed me.

He was...

There was no one around to help.

"You're acting quite calm for what I exp-"

"You killed him!" I screamed, pulling against the bonds. His expression turned into a smirk. An all too familiar one.

"There we go!" He said excitedly, his eyes lighting up. "You seemed to have forgotten for a second there." He stood up and just stared at me intently.

I started to feel hot, beads of sweat appearing on my forehead.

He was dead. I saw him lying on the ground with a blade in his back. I held him as he was in pain, before I was ripped away from him and knocked out.

Now I'm here.

I don't even feel him anymore. All I felt was emptiness in place of his presence.

"You killed him." I whispered, hot tears trailing down my face. My heart crumbled inside of me as the pangs got worse. I looked up at him. He was sporting a pout that was obviously fake.

"Aw, I'm sorry," he cooed. "I didn't think you would care. You said so yourself, you don't love him." He was right, I did say that. But I now knew that it wasn't true. I had been lying to myself this whole time, thinking that I had moved on from loving him. Turns out, I was wrong.

"What did I do to have possibly deserved this?" I whispered to myself. Though it wasn't really meant for Alec to hear.

"Oh," he drew out. "You did nothing wrong." He said in a sweet voice. "Apart from the fact that you had me imprisoned for more than a month." His voice turned dark, venom dripping from his lips.