Chapter 3: Cinnamon

Song recommendation: Cinnamon Girl by Lana Del Rey "There's things I wanna say to you but I'll just let you live, like if you hold me without hurting me"

     "Tell me why there's a kickback tonight, and since we got away with the other bullshit then we should go!" Ella was on a high being as they got away with sneaking out and sneaking back in their first time.

     "I know you feel invincible but I don't," Sage laughed. After her gentleman friend from the club dropped her off she had to do so much to make it back into her own apartment. "Also, we should be glad I wasn't kidnapped."

     "You right. I guess I'mma go with my new boy toy," she snorted.

     "What? Boy toy?"

     "Yup," Ella smacked her mint gum and plopped back down on the rug beside Sage. The two were currently in Ella's room trying to kill time before Sage had to attend an evening study session. Mr. Baglio was very hard on her about grades so he made sure to pay for time with a trusted and Ivy League alumni. It was ensure she stayed on track and possibly better her grades. Sage absolutely hated it because it cut into time with her best friend, actually, her sister at this point. It didn't help she hated academics, school just isn't for her.

     "Where'd he even come from? I knew you were texting someone!" She knew when Ella got involved with a boy even before she would be straight about it. First clue, she'd be all giggly and daydream extra hard, then she'd drop little details about him, and lastly, she would let it be known she spent fifty hours on facetime with him

     "I met him at the club, he saw me freakin' out cause I didn't know where you were! Thankfully your boy toy is friends with him. He facetimed us from your phone. You don't remember?" Ella asked pointedly.

     "Bitch my boy toy? I--" before Sage could even correct her about using the wrong word, her iphone alerted an incoming call. Ella giggled as her friend scowled at the name and the contact picture across her phone screen. "EAST" it read with a heart emoji.

     "Boy toy." Ella mouthed.

     "Hello," Sage answered into the phone but not before swatting a dying Ella with a throw pillow from her bed.

     "Hey ma, you don't sound too excited to hear my voice. Ion like that." East's familiar voice exclaimed.

     "Oh no, it's not that. What's up?"

     "Baby, I'm finna take you out that jail you call a house in like an hour or two."

     "First off, I'm not even home!" Sage stated.

     "It don't matter, I'll come get you wherever." Dave didn't have the patience to wait for a response because he was getting what he wanted either way.

     "How do you know I want to come?" Sage inquired. No, she was genuinely confused at how demanding this man was. Did she hate it? No. But was she thrown off? Yeah, pretty much. Sage did know one thing though, she had tutoring and it was not up for debate if she was going to go. If her dad ever found out she skipped he would be livid.

     "It's not about what you want. It's just food ma don't be scared." Dave was growing impatient already but he wanted to make sure they were on the same page. He calls the shots, she just needs to comply. That's all.

     "I-I have tutoring," that response made Dave roll his eye so far back in his head but at the same time softened his heart. He knew what he was getting into when he picked up a schoolgirl that night, especially one without a rebellious bone in her body.