28. we suffer mornings most of all

Important author note before the chapter! Please be notified that, from now on, this book will shift from reader inserted to Loki and other canon Marvel characters I see fit in each story. Though there might still be other Loki x Reader chapters in the future, if I can think of plots where I believe reader inserted would fit best, but no promises. My apologies if you came here because you were looking for X Reader fic. It's that I enjoy writing canon characters and what I think they would do in specific situations more than I used to enjoy writing reader inserted stories.

I will not be deleting any previous chapter I've posted, so you can still read them any time you want.

From now on, I will state at the beginning of each chapter which character will be the main character alongside Loki.

Each chapter will still be one-shot.

Please also note that the relationship won't always be romantic or sexual. Some chapters might be platonic, or some might even be all-out hatred between enemies.

(However, I already have other separated book for Loki and Thor fan fiction, so I won't be posting Loki and Thor chapters here but instead will be continue posting them on that separate book. You can check it out, if you want. It's called Brotherhood and it's a Loki and Thor one-shots fic)

I hope you will still be enjoying this.

┈┈ ❋ ┈┈

Relationship: Loki and Bucky Barnes

(because these two had been brainwashed and tortured, I figured they could use a little talk. Who would understand them better than each other when they shared the same traumatic experience, right?)

*Trigger warning for PTSD

///

"We suffer mornings most of all,
wake up all bleary-eyed and sore,"

Bucky struggled on the table, a plastic tube was forced into his mouth, down his throat. His limbs restrained. He could see their shadows, faces hidden behind masks, hovering over him, studying him like a lab rat that he was. He shut his eyes tight when he heard the words, the code, piercing through the cold air and into his ears. No, he wouldn't break, he wouldn't break. They could never use him again, could never force him to kill again.

Hot white pain seeping down his spine, creeping through his every vein, and his eyes snapped open. He bolted upright, panting hard with forehead covered in layers of sweat. Bucky looked around frantically. He was in his own room Tony provided in the Avengers compound. He was no longer held captive in HYDRA headquarter.

He was safe, but did he truly ever escape when every time he drifted off, he was dragged back to that pit of hell, haunted in the never-ending lost dreams by his own mind.

He ran a hand past his face in hopeless attempt to chase away the image still burning bright behind his eyes. The dreams - the nightmares - only felt more real each time.

Bucky growled and reached for the clock on his nightstand table. It was four in the morning, and the sky was still dark. He didn't want to get back to sleep. He was afraid they would come back and hurt him in his sleep like they always did.

He got up and walked out of the door. He was hoping a glass of water would help, at least a little. Bucky made it to the kitchen, the place was eerily silent with everybody else still asleep. He turned on the light and grabbed a glass from the island, turned on the handle to the faucet and waited until fresh water almost hit the rim before turning it off and bringing it to his mouth, swallowing eagerly. The cold water running down his throat felt good, not that good that it magically made all-that-was-wrong melt away, but it certainly made him more... awake. Him being awake meant they couldn't hurt him. HYDRA couldn't hurt him when his eyes were open.