30. bittersweet on my tongue

Relationship: Loki & Tony Stark. May or may not lead to them developing a romantic relationship ;)

Trigger warning for disturbing content, but mostly it's just angst, I guess. Angst with lots of feelings (or so I hope!) That and Loki being a little shit.

~~~

Tony didn't mean for it to happen; this... weird relationship. Whatever it was. It kind of just happened.

///

Tony had thought of it, once or twice. Okay, maybe he thought of it a lot; the afterlife. Things that happened after you died, which was more or less rational for someone whose only certainty in life was uncertainty - one day he was an asshole billionaire, living a normal purposeless life of a playboy, and the next he was out there risking his ass saving the world. Not to mention that time he was left stranded in the outer space with no sustenance or oxygen, literally. More than often - and Tony had lost count long ago - he had a brush with death.

Which explained why he was rather calm, unnervingly calm, looking down at the two feet of steel driving through one of his lungs, buried deep in his body making breathing hurt like a bitch. But hey, this time it wasn't even his fault, nor was it because of his recklessness. How was he supposed to know there was a freaking bomb in a freaking abandoned building?! Really, it was supposed to be a quick in-and-out simply mission; the radar caught a power source here - the Tesseract, the one Thor's brother, that greasy God of Mischief managed to sneak away from the vault. Again.
(Tony preferred to call him 'Thor's Brother' instead of his actual name, because just by thinking of his name pissed him off. Loki. How dared Loki throw him out of the window of his own tower. He was Tony fucking Stark. The disrespect)

Back to where he was (Tony reminded himself cursing Loki now wouldn't get him anywhere, at least right now, he had more important thing to worry about) Tony tried moving his arm only to hiss like a snake when the sharp pain shot its way through his spine. He couldn't feel his legs, and he figured that was a mercy considering the way his bone protruded out of the skin around his knee, exposing the white covered in the colour of blood, his other leg in no better condition with a heavy chunk of concrete crashing bones and muscles to pieces - the whole limb from knee down was invisible under that thing.

He could feel the tiny amount of oxygen running out. And his suit was utterly down, meaning he couldn't contact his Avenger friends or signal anyone of his location. Tony wondered if it'd be like sleeping; him slowly drifting off, but the only difference would be that this time, he'd never wake again. He had to admit he thought it would be more heroic, more dramatic - the way he'd go down. Maybe sacrificing himself to save the universe. He survived the Snap. He'd rather die then if he knew he had won and survived the battle against Thanos only to be brought down because of a bomb, which should've been dud, from World War II decided to randomly go off causing the whole underground HYDRA base to fall on him.

Then Tony heard... noises. Footsteps. He strained his ringing ears trying to make out the direction. It was hard considering the fact he wasn't really in the condition where everything in him was fully function, but he tried to concentrate, if it was a person or just his imagination (hallucination from all the blood loss)

It was a person.

"Here!" Tony shouted, or what was the closest to shouting he could manage, with his voice hoarse beyond limits and his mouth tasted of blood. "In here!" He tried again. Maybe Rogers managed to track down his location. Or Rhodey. Or Happy.

If Tony could, he would facepalm himself right then and there. It wasn't Rogers or Rhodey or Happy. And how stupid he must have been to not think of the possibility that whoever was here to search for him wasn't an ally. Idiot. He just gave his location away to Loki. When he was in no condition to defence himself.