Chapter 24 (Part 2)

"Mommy, Daddy!" Sophie exclaims, grabbing our attention. "Can Vicky take me ice skating today? She has time!" Sophie's eyes shine with excitement as she anticipates our answer.

"Just the two of you?" I ask.

"It doesn't have to be." Vicky answers quickly. "Of course you can come along too. But I did promise Sophie I'd take her ice skating again."

"Well, I'll leave that decision up to you." Grace says to me. "I'm going home to start packing." She goes over to Sophie and hugs her tight before placing a kiss on top her head. "Be good. I'll see you this weekend, okay?"

"Mhm." Sophie nods.

"I love you."

"Love you too." Sophie smiles.

Grace says goodbye to us once more before leaving. Shortly after, Sophie grabs and shakes my arm impatiently.

"Can we go?" She asks.

"I don't know. You haven't been very nice since you got here. Your coat is still lying on the floor."

"I'm sorry." Sophie quickly apologizes before rushing over to pick up her coat. She hangs it up on the hook where it should have gone before. "Can we go now?"

"Thank you for picking up your coat, but that doesn't excuse your behavior earlier. I'll think about letting you go ice skating, but for now go play in your room."

"Aw, no fair." Sophie whines. She pouts before turning trudging to her room.

*Victoria*

"I see she's in one of her moods today." I say once Sophie is in her room. "Might be a bit of a long day for you."

"Yeah, seems like it." Aaron replies with a sigh. "I'm sorry we couldn't have more time alone today." He crosses the space between us and wraps his arms around my waist. "I wanted it to be just the two of us for a little while."

"Yeah, that would have been nice." I smile. "But I'm glad I get to see Sophie. And now I get to spend time with two of my favorite people." I reach up and place a quick kiss on his lips. "Are you hungry?"

"For what?" He asks, a mischievous look in his eyes.

"You are insatiable." I roll my eyes with a smile. "I was thinking pancakes. Does that work for you?"

"Sure, however I'd prefer something much sweeter." He leans in and meets his lips with mine. I kiss him back instantly, immediately falling under his spell. I wrap my arms around his neck as his arms tighten around my waist. I can't believe I was keeping myself from these moments. I can't believe I almost missed out on the overwhelming happiness I feel right now. I'm so high on cloud nine right now I'm not sure I'll ever come down. I don't think I want to come down.

Aaron's phone rings and he ignores it as he holds me tighter to him. As the phone blares on insistently, Aaron reluctantly pulls away and pulls his phone from his pocket to check the caller ID.

"Damnit." He groans before answering. "Hey Mike." He gives me an apologetic look and give him a reassuring smile. I motion that I'll be in the kitchen before leaving him to his phone call. I sift through the kitchen as I gather everything I need to make breakfast. Once everything is gathered, I pour the contents in a bowl. I watch Aaron pace back and forth as he talks on the phone. He runs a frustrated hand through his hair, and I can't help but wonder who this Mike guy is and why Aaron didn't want to take his call.

Aaron suddenly hangs up and joins me in the kitchen. "Bad news." Aaron says with a sigh. "I need to go to work." He looks at me apologetically. "Someone called out and they need me to fill in."