Episode 66

The next day at school, Dani's sitting in class on one side of the room, while Joe is on the other side. She glances back and shows a small smile towards him.

He notices her looking over at him but he quickly turns his head back to the front of the class, causing Dani to do the same while feeling nothing but pain and confusion.

~~~

Mia walks into the coffee house after school and a confused expression comes to her face when she sees another employee standing behind the counter. "Kyle? I didn't know you were working this shift."

"Yeah, James called me and said that I was working today."

The look of confusion doesn't leave her face. "Oh...well, I guess we'll be working this shift together then."

James walks out of the back office and motions for Mia. "Uh, Mia? Could I talk to you a minute?"

She walks over to James and stands in front of him.

He looks down at her confused. "Didn't you get my message?"

She shakes her head.

"You're not working today, Kyle is taking over your shift."

She gives him a look of confusion. "What? I already agreed to take this shift weeks ago."

"Yes, I know. But I felt obligated to listen when someone came in here and told me you have been working yourself to death."

Mia's face turns to confusion and anger when she realizes there are only two people who would have done that without her permission.

"I should have known better than to give a high school student a full time job. I just wish you would've felt safe enough to come to me and tell me that you were feeling over worked."

She shakes her head at James. "Wait? What? No, I'm not feeling over worked. I'm perfectly fine and who told you that I was working myself to death?!"

"A young man came in here yesterday...I think his name was...Logan?" He nods. "Yes, Logan something."

She drops her arms as anger takes over her face she shakes her head and turns, walking out of the coffee shop with determination.

~~~

Dani's sitting at the kitchen table with her father, starring at the birthday cake he made her.

Mr. Landon looks over at her with an apologetic smile. "I should probably just buy the cake from now on, huh?"

"That would probably be best." She pushes the plate away from her and looks down at her lap in sadness.

"I didn't think my cake would make you that upset." He smirks jokingly.

She forces a small smile and shakes her head. "No, it's not the cake."

He sighs and leans forward. "I didn't think so."

She looks back down at the cake just as the doorbell rings. She stands up and looks over at her dad. "I'll get it." She walks out into the living room and opens the front door.

"Hey." Joe looked like he hadn't slept and his eyes were glazed over like he was in a completely different place.

"Hey." She forces a small smile as she feels the nerves rising in her stomach.

"Can we talk?"

She nods and walks out on the porch, closing the door behind her.

Joe walks further out on the porch and turns back to her with a somber expression. "So...about Saturday night...when I brought you home...what happened exactly? Beause...I'm a little confused."