Let's Play a Game (38)

I stared at myself in the full-length mirror in the dressing room at the church, already in Brianna’s dress and ready to go. I spun around a little, not believing how good I actually looked in it. My scars didn't even look that bad at all. I was definitely going to drive Zach wild in the dress, that was for sure. Even though I was sure I’d drive him even wilder out of it…

I shook my head firmly as my cheeks turned bright red. No, no thinking about that right then. This was not the time to think about our honeymoon or any other time like that. I just had to get through this wedding and everything would be fine.

“Oh, you look beautiful, Maxynn!” Brianna gushed once she made her way inside my dressing room. She looked like she was about to cry, and I wouldn’t be surprised if she hadn’t already. “I was a little tinier than you when I got married, so it fits you perfectly! I’m so glad.”

I smiled at her, turning toward the mirror now to look at myself. I really did look great, which wasn’t something I usually said about myself. This was going to be a good day.

Well, it’d be better if Kate was here. She made me leave her house without her because she wasn’t ready when I was, and I had to get here before Zach did so he wouldn’t see me. I didn’t know if she was here yet or not, but I was sure she wasn’t because she definitely would have come in here to see me if she was.

Brianna left the dressing room now, and I was left alone again. I looked myself up and down in the mirror, ruffling the dress a little bit and playing with my hair. My makeup looked fine, and so did my hair, so I shouldn’t have been freaking out like I was. I just had to stay calm and everything would be fine…

When there was a knock on my door, I jumped in surprise. After soothing out my dress a few times, I called out to whoever was on the other side of the door, “Come in.”

The door opened the reveal Steve, who I wasn’t expecting to see. He came inside the dressing room, shutting the door behind him before making his way closer to me. I blinked at him, not knowing what I was supposed to say to my fiancé’s father.

“Hey, Steve,” I greeted awkwardly, looking down at the jewelry on the dresser beside me.

He said nothing to me at first, and there was a feeling in my stomach that left me wondering what it was. I turned away from him and toward the dresser and the mirror, moving things around a little just to look busy.

“I want to thank you, Maxynn,” he said after a few moments of silence, and it surprised me because I was starting to forget that he was eve in the room with me. I turned back toward him as he said, “Thanks for saving my son… and marrying him. Who knows where he’d be right now if it wasn’t for you?”

I felt myself force a smile, still feeling weird for some reason. “You’re welcome. I love him very much.”

And it was the truth. The first time I had met Zach, I thought that he was charming and attractive. After getting to know him, I found out that he wasn’t the kind of guy I wanted to get involved with so I started to hate him. I never thought I’d get to this point, but here we were now. I was about to marry him and become an official Deveraux.

Steve only stared at me now. “You really do look like your mother.”

I blinked, not knowing what to say to that. Steve used to have a huge crush on my mother. People used to say I looked like my mother all the time, but it stopped after she passed away. Now, people rarely over spoke about her because they either thought I killed her or it was too touchy of a subject.

Steve took a step forward, and for some reason I automatically took a step back. I didn’t know why I started feeling uneasy, but I knew that something wasn’t right.