Chapter Thirty-three

The next morning was Christmas. We woke up to Mister Kupka's cheery voice instead of the usual gongs.

"Merry Christmas! Today Otis prepared a special breakfast so hurry down and eat it before it gets cold!"

"Yes!" Even Beth jumped out of her bed and got dressed fast.

When we were all done, we all gathered our gifts for each other, now wrapped and tied up, and went down to the kitchen. The smell of eggs, milk, cookies, and even gingerbread danced around the servants' dining hall. We talked as we ate, giddy for our gifts. After we finish breakfast, the tables were cleared and we began giving our gifts to each other.

The valets had the same idea as us, and gave each each other small trinkets or chipped in for a big and fancy gift. Mister Kupka received a journal, quill pens, fountain pens, and a fancy inkstone. Matheus got new suspenders, Rudy a chain for his pocket-watch, Phillip a new hat, Holden lots of different tea, Otis a new recipe book, and Harper some picture frames.

"Now time for our gifts," Clo said, and we scurried to hand each other the according gifts. "Who wants to open their's first?"

"Oldest goes first!" Beth shouted, obviously because she's the youngest. Clo only sighed.

"Fine, fine." She tugged at the brown wrapping that Rhiannon used. Inside there was a choker with a beautiful black stone in the middle. "Holy moly!"

"It's not a real jewel," Rhiannon said, "only an onyx, so I haggled the price down until I could buy it for a cheap price."

"It's a very nice onyx," Holden says, nodding his head in approval.

"Rhiannon haggles? I can't believe it," Beth teased.

"Thank you," Clo said, and smiled softly at Rhiannon. Rhiannon's ears grew red.

"Open mine next, Clo!" Beth begged. Obediently Clo opened the next one, which was in bright pink wrapping paper with a ribbon, but handed the ribbon back to Beth. Then she took apart the wrapping and inside was the hair iron.

"Irons cost a fortune!" Otis said and gaped at Beth. We followed.

"Are you sure?" Clo asked. Beth nodded.

"I don't curl my hair, and you looked beautiful yesterday. You can even try straightening it."

"I'll teach you," Rhiannon added. Clo blushed and thanked them. Then she opened my gift, and smiled. "Scented soap! I've never used any." I felt all warm inside at my first time gift-giving.

"I know it's much plainer than what Beth and Rhiannon brought you, but I hope you enjoy it."

"Of course I will!"

Clo stood up and gave us all hugs. Then we moved on to me, as my birthday was before Rhiannon's and we were the same age.

The first present, which was in a paper bag, was Clo's, and although I knew it was fabric, I feigned surprise at it, but the fabric she chose did indeed surprise me. It was of a satiny texture, pale grey with a hint of blue when you turned it under the light, obviously expensive.

"Oh my! It's beautiful!" Beth gasped.

"I love it! It'll look beautiful with some embroidery!" I hugged it to my chest and she smiled bashfully.

Next I opened Rhiannon's gift. It was face cream, in a circular tin with little flowers on the outside.

"You had a bruise on your face last month," she said, "so take care of your skin."

"Thank you," I said, trying to laugh it off, but I was pleased with the gift. It was the first cosmetic I'd ever owned. Next I opened Beth's once again extravagantly wrapped gift, and unwrapped it to see a dazzling nightgown, crisp and fresh.