42. HOLOCENE - final chapter

CHAPTER FOURTY TWO
[HOLOCENE]

Molly stepped out of the car, shutting the door behind her as she took a deep breath

Molly stepped out of the car, shutting the door behind her as she took a deep breath. She stuck her hands in her back pockets as Hayley came around the front of the car and Molly took a look around.

It was a perfect and permanent flood, the waters that deepened the hue of the tree barks. That was the bayou, as if land and water came to the most glorious of compromises and made something so spectacularly different from every other place around.

A single cabin stood on stilts in the bayou. The ancient trees around them seemed to grow straight out of the glassy surface of a lake, but in reality it wasn't even knee deep.

The people were different, much different then the people in the French Quarter. They were happy with a lifestyle that many would turn their cheek to. Children ran around, covered in dirt— playing with old beat up toys. And their parents sat and watched, sitting on lawn chairs and drinking beers with each other.

The sound of Kai and Elijah getting out of the car next made Molly lift her focus off the Bayou and turn to him. "Hm." Kai says. "Less dog toys than I expected"

Molly narrowed her eyes at him. "You're not funny." She says annoyedly. Molly turns to Hayley, even the mere sight of her made her confused— but she spoke anyways. "So this is where they all live?" She says. Even though she'd just discovered she was apart of this pack, it was strange to say 'we' instead of 'them.'

Hayley inhales sharply and nods. "Most of them." She begins. "Half of them are in the French Quarter following Witch's orders to get Moonlight rings. But the good ones stayed here." She sends Molly a half smile. "Wanna look around?"

Molly swallows and nods, feeling completely out of place. "Sure." She turns to Kai, "I'll be right back."

Kai nods. "Gives me and Elijah some good 'ole bro time." Kai says sarcastically, patting Elijah on the back.

"Don't touch me." Elijah says, straightening out his suit.

"O-kay." Kai nods, removing his hand.

Molly scoffs, before turning back around and following Haley down the dirt path toward everyone.

Kai watches as the two converse, and a group of people stand to greet Molly. He smiles at the sight of Molly being met with unexpected hugs— knowing that she doesn't like them. But a small part of him felt, strange. Not jealous— just something he couldn't put into one word.

The crowd was a river sweeping her away to a reality he could never give her. A family. A real one. With people like her. He watched wanting her to turn flash that unforgettable smile and gesture for him to follow but it never came, he was her past and had no place in her new life.

He shook the negative thoughts from his head, knowing he was being dramatic. He should be happy for her. But why was he feeling so awkward?

"So, siphoner witch, serial killer, turned leader of the Gemini Coven, yes?" Elijah speaks up, and Kai turns to him— forgetting he was there.