Chapter 35: Preparations

It took the boys more than an hour to get all the information we needed, but when Hanz said it was complete, things were really complete.

"Here," he said, placing pages of papers on the table in front of me. "Neil and I managed to find a printer. How are you girls doing?"

Audra and I barely glanced at each other while I quickly snatched the papers. If I had looked at her, I was sure she would be poker faced. But I wasn't so lucky. I would had been beet red.

"How dare you flirt while we work our asses off?" Neil said, figuring us out nonetheless. "Shame on you lesbians! Shame!"

Hanz, smirking at us, sat in front of the coffee table. "Let's read the information we've printed together," he said. "I'm sure everyone is dying for that."

I flipped through the pages I snatched a bit earlier. "Okay. . ." I trailed. "All of these are about Blackwell?"

"Yup." Neil took a seat on the floor as well. "Fire away, Leighton."

"Hmm. . . Steven Blackwell," I murmured. "Fifty years of age. Proponent of the Lesbian and Gay Gene, also known as XQ21." My mouth turned downward. Scanning the pages, most of the information printed there were things we would often hear on TV anyway. Nothing new.

Hanz sighed. "In addition to that, we searched about what was going on in the news. Nothing. It's like there's a media blackout. No one was talking about anything gay-related."

Audra's hands clenched. "How are they explaining what they did in schools then?" she asked. "In offices? The rallies? People must be asking."

"I don't know," Hanz admitted. "Or maybe they're treating it like the Middle East." His face darkened when I stared at him. "The Middle East was where they tested the cure first, remember? They said that the LGBT community agreed to it, but I doubt that now. Maybe, like the Middle East, Blackwell expects our country to just pretend we all agreed to it too."

"That's absurd!" Neil grabbed the papers from my hand. In doing so, he only took half of the layer on top. I was left with the bottom. "Aren't people going to oppose this? Anyone?"

"Maybe they did in the Middle East," I said. "And maybe like us they were silence. Or tried to be silenced. Who knows?"

"Plus," Audra said. "Humanities' future is at stake, remember? Don't forget, they're trying to cure us the first place because in the future we wouldn't have enough babies to sustain the world. Too much gay and all that crap. Don't you recall the statistics they published?"

Yes. And unfortunately too. In all this hiding and running, the grand scheme of things had been lost to me. But now that we thought about it, I could understand what Blackwell was trying to do.

For the sake of the future, he wanted to sacrifice us.

Neil, who was still scanning his half of the papers, began to read out loud. "Hobbies," he shared. "Animals. More animals. Boring crap, people. Blackwell's an animal lover. Maybe he and Hanz are both vegetarians."

"Vegan," Hanz corrected. "And let's not argue about that. You don't know what I had to eat outside Conduit, but I told Pax."

My nose wrinkled while I stared at my own papers. I couldn't imagine him doing that. "Background," I shared. "Steven Blackwell was the son of two prominent geneticist. He's also a dropout in an Ivy League school, but afterwards managed to teach at the very same school after getting his PHD overseas. Then a few years after, got fired again for trying to pioneer something he shouldn't."