Newt [29]

Newt, being as busy as he was, couldn't keep on top of every single little thing that went on in the Glade during the day. All he was ever able to rely on for insight into smaller conflicts of the Glade was the words of his most trusted friends. Even at that though, there still seemed to be a whole lot that he missed out on.

The night had settled in and most of the Gladers were asleep. Y/N knew better than to let herself fall asleep so easily, though. There were people who were out to make her night miserable, like they'd done plenty of times before. Tonight she figured they must've had something bigger than normal planned because there were five or so hammocks devoid of sleeping bodies.

This was something she didn't want to risk. She didn't want to lay awake, just hoping these boys weren't planning something beyond a simple prank that would put her in serious danger. So, Y/N decided to stumble on over to Newt's hammock though the dark instead of staying where she was.

Apparently, Newt was just as restless and unable to sleep because his head perked out of his hammock the moment he heard footsteps in the dirt.

"Y/N?" He asked. "You okay?"

"Uh, yeah." She whispered.

"You sure?" He insisted. "Those shanks didn't do anything, did they?"

"Not yet," She sighed. "I have a bad feeling, so I thought I would come over here. I won't bother you—I'll just sit here until they go to bed."

In the near distance, a few boys laughed and very quickly, their faint voices were coming in closer. And not just coming from one direction, but all around. Someone caught Y/N off guard as they ran through the trees, whistling as if a little bird. Y/N whipped her head around to try and catch where the person had gone and she took a few steps back. Her breathing had quickened and legs began to stiffen.

She felt embarrassed. Something like these little pranks they'd been playing lately shouldn't bother her. Mixed in with the paranoia of being in an isolated place with no memories and constant nightmares made it impossible to ignore though.

Suddenly, a hand was in hers. She jolted back and tried to draw her arm away but they held on tight. When she looked down and realized it had just been Newt, she let out a breath of relief.

"They've done this before, haven't they?" He questioned sadly, brows furrowed.

Y/N nodded and swallowed hard. "It's fine, Alby always breaks it up before things get bad."

Angered by the actions of the people he shared this home with, he tightened his grip around Y/N's hand and pulled her straight for his hammock. She toppled inside of it. Laughing lightly, Newt repositioned himself and let Y/N lay right at his side. His arms were wrapped around her tightly and he rest his chin on her head.

"You can go to sleep," Newt squeezed the body in his arms, hoping in some way it would give her some kind of confidence or security. "Those shanks won't be trying anything tonight."