Possibilities

Comfort was not something Camilla had taken lightly. From her clothing choices, this was an obvious statement. Her old job, with the FBI; it became strenuous and truly scary when she was obliged to take the lead. The higher-ups expected her to have a fear of leading her team. Every single member under her care knew that was not the problem. No, it was the fact that whatever happened to them was on her conscience. Empathy was her downfall if you could call it a downfall. As part of her job, she had to be able to make lawful decisions. And if she could not sacrifice the safety of her companions for the greater good, she was not cut out to be in this role.

Camilla stared at her laptop screen, eyes glazed over, ears tuned out. All the physics ramble around her used to flood her brain. The first couple of months, she spent her free time looking up words in the dictionary, trying to understand what on earth was going on. Especially, if any of it could be a danger. Newsflash, this was a billion-dollar company. Many of the creations were dangerous, and Camilla did not understand most of them.

Something tugged her out of the intricate foldings that were her mind. She twitched, her eyes back in focus, sliding from side to side as her muscles tensed. No immediate danger. Then what had it been?

"Hey, Diaz? Are you here?" Lena grabbed her attention.

"Hmm? Sorry, I got distracted." She rubbed her temple, shifting into a more upright position. Reyna watched her with a sort of innocence that hadn't existed in the building for a while now. Like she'd never seen someone attack Lena before, so she couldn't understand why Diaz was there in the first place. Poor kid, Diaz thought. That idea would not last long.

"What's up?"

"I was thinking we should show her around my personal lab. You don't have to join us, you can just stand guard outside the door if you would prefer that." Camilla closed her laptop and stood up.

"If you want to ditch your security you're going to have to work harder. Let's go."

Lena leads Reyna and Camilla to the entrance of her personal lab. Not the entrance she technically used, that door would stay hidden. At least until she felt that she could trust Reyna. It stung that she had to think of her prodigy in this way, but she had learnt from her mistakes. She stood still in front of the two-way mirror in her hallway, placing her left hand on the invisible scanner. A small corner flashed green and the iris scanner appeared out of the latch in the ceiling.

"Wow, that is so cool!" Reyna stared in awe.

"Thank you," Lena spoke as Camilla placed her hand in the scanner.

"For now we will have to log you in as a guest, the scanner can only receive new entries from inside one of my laboratories." Camilla leant into the iris scanner as Lena waited for Reyna to figure out the logic behind her statement. This internship would be full of puzzles.

"Oh, that way no one can be logged in without being confirmed as an ally. I'm guessing the only person who can add new scans is you?"

"And miss Diaz." Lena could see a flicker of surprise in Reyna's eyes. The obvious faith Lena had in her guard was something that couldn't be picked up within twenty minutes. Lena helped Reyna log in as a guest, and then the wall swung back.

"Welcome to my private lab."

Kara was never the most patient person. Part of that was her upbringing, and part of it was in her DNA. After 24 hours, she had texted Winn. Once. She knew that Winn knew nothing more than she did. There were no new flowers on her skin. Sometimes she wished that she wasn't such a sucker for romance.

"Earth to Supergirl." Alex's voice cut through her thoughts and returned her to the army site. General Lane called the DEO so he could get her to test the new military robot. This was a stupid reason to call on Supergirl, but director Henshaw didn't have the legal power to reject his demands. Alex even tried to go over Lane's head. He never found out, but it was a great story to laugh about later. So since the DEO couldn't do anything, she was ready to kick some robotic ass.

Camilla was pouring Lena a glass of wine. They had just finished their first day with a bunch of interns around, and they were hanging out in Lena's apartment.

"Camilla, what happened that got you so distracted today? And before you start, I know you. I wasn't born yesterday." Lena shifted on her couch so Camilla could sit.

"My last mission with the feds was three years ago. Exactly three years ago, today. I was just catching up with some old friends and I got stuck in my memories. That was all, I'm fine." Lena raised her eyebrows.

"I'm fine!" Camilla clinked her glass against Lena's, signalling that she wanted a subject change.

"How's the search for your soulmate going?"

"I'm one of the smartest women in the world." Lena gestured with her free hand.

"And I got nothing. There is absolutely no way I can scan the city for people who don't get hurt. It's ridiculous and I don't know what to do. How's your soulmate?" Camilla twisted her feet, cracking the joints before answering the question.

"He's fine. For now, at least. His haemophilia stops him from living life the way he wants to live, and I know she's unhappy. Not that he's unhappy with me, but with his limitations." She took a sip of her wine.

"I've tried to develop a solution for his haemophilia. Unfortunately, I am not a doctor, except for physics and chemistry. For this, I'd need a molecular biologist."

"Relax, Lena. I know this isn't your thing, I'm not asking you to try and fix it. I'm glad I can talk to you about it. Besides, more people are struggling with haemophilia, and I am sure they can live a happy life." They settled into a comfortable silence until the TV that was on mute caught Lena's eye.

"Well, it seems that Supergirl has gotten into some trouble." With that, she turned the volume up and they focused on the screen.

"What kind of idiot creates a robot that goes off by itself?!" Alex shouted as the team was scouring the city cameras. Anything that could locate it.

"Agent Danvers, please." Director Henshaw moved toward her so he could continue at a lower volume.

"I understand why you're angry but you cannot show this much of it now. We do not want to be at odds with the military." Alex crossed her arms and turned to Kara. Kara herself was taken aback by the way that the robot had just taken off. For a piece of technology that was created by the military, it gave up fast. She pushed the issue out of her mind. All she could do was capture the robot when it was seen again, and protect everyone from it.