53.

Banquet in the palace.

STARING at the perfumed sachet in his hand that has a simple embroidery, Yan Gen tilted his head at the side. Unable to make head or tail of what Zhu Deming was thinking. His delicate eyebrows furrowed in contemplation then he flung it outside. He lied on his patio, closing his eyes to let his mind relaxed a bit.

      It's not that he doesn't remember what happened that night when Zhu Deming handed the perfumed sachet to him in the temple. The memories of what had transpired when he had gone to the brothel came pouring out to him like a bucket of ice cold water. The woman he was kissing so enthusiastically back then was this person. Yan Gen almost fainted in shock, he was barely able to regain his composure. Nevertheless, he feigned innocence but both of them knew that he was just pretending. That simple perfume sachet clearly belongs to him, for the sachet he's wearing now has the same sweet smell.

      Zhu Deming shoved the perfume sachet in his hand despite his denial and walked out wearing a knowing devilish smile. So scary ah. Even after going back to the estate upon finishing their stay in the temple, Yan Gen felt uneased. He was plunged with nightmares everyday and during the day, he thinks too much. Luckily, Zhu Deming didn't pursue him about it. Though he doesn't know what's his purpose of telling him that. He can bet his life that Zhu Deming's true purpose there isn't to pray. How can a devil like him pray to the god? His probably there to do something dirty.

     Yan Gen is certain that Zhu Deming doesn't like him. Like Zhu Mingli, the author decribed him to be a man who can't be easily swayed by a beauty, having seen so many beauties in his life and that was why he fall for the female lead Li Mei, who is not only a beauty but a pure white lotus. How can he love a vulgar woman like Wei Zhilan? Her beauty is a seduction that drew the beasts in men while Li Mei's beauty is innocent that drew the tender feelings of men.

      In any case, Yan Gen confidently believes that Zhu Deming doesn't like him and even if he did, his degree of like was nothing compared to what he feels for Li Mei. They only met twice, he probably feels that it's good to toy with him a bit, considering Zhilan's gorgeous face. Speaking of Li Mei, he doesn't know if he already meet Zhu Deming. Yan Gen doesn't know how they first meet since he skipped a lot of chapters. Zhu Mingli and Li Mei have already met, so Zhu Deming must have met the female lead too. That's good, as long as Yan Gen successfully keep his distance from them, he'll probably be safe.

       There are so many things that changed ever since he came here, but there's no guarantee that he can avoid his fate. Not only will he die, the Wei clan will be exterminated.

       “Xiaojie, you shouldn't lie on the patio. You'll get sick again, you've been staying out here for too long and your clothes are not thick enough”

       Yan Gen let out a heavy breath at Meigui's nagging. Goodness, why are women so annoying? That's exactly what he's planning, to get sick again.

      Last week, because he was restless for days, he feels like his brain has been fried and he got sick. He stayed in bed for three days to recuperate. Unfortunately, just when he completely recovered from his illness, the palace banquet came approaching.

      One of the most crucial events of the story, the palace banquet! It was to celebrate the birthday of the Emperor. From what Yan Gen can remember, it was also the day that Zhilan caught the attention of the Emperor, though her intention was to seduce the drunken Zhu Mingli. She unintentionally seduced another person. Of course, this was all staged by the male lead.

      The Wei clan also made an effort to introduce Zhilan to each prince, like some kind of goods. Making Yan Gen doubt if they truly loved Wei Zhilan as a member of their clan, or was it because their greed for power surpassed their familial love? At the very least, they didn't offer her to the old emperor. However, an emperor is still an emperor. He rules over the world. If he wants a bunch of pretty unmarried young maidens, then he has no qualms over it. He just have to write a decree and it will be granted. Such is the power of the dragon throne.

     Obviously, Yan Gen doesn't want to go to the banquet. That will be his doom. Although this time, the him in Wei Zhilan's body doesn't absolutely have any intention of seducing anyone, much less Zhu Mingli and worst the old emperor, it's better safe than sorry.

     The banquet is very important as it is the monarch's birthday banquet, even commoners are oblige to celebrate in their humble dwellings, thus the capital became lively again. The government officials along their families are all invited. Yan Gen received the news about it just yesterday and now he's trying to get his sickness back, going as far as to soak himself in cold water at night.

      Regret washed all over him, what's the use of enduring the bitter taste of ancient chinese medicine? This event is more bitter for him. And today is the day they're heading to the palace. He can already feel his death coming.

     When he doesn't want to get sick, he gets sick easily, now that he willing wants to get sick, he doesn't get sick. Damn illness! He came up with so many excuses and none of it worked, one of it was telling Wei Furen that he's sick again. Yan Gen swallowed a lot of chillies to make it look natural, you can't rely on the make up here in this era. Wei Furen got frightened and she immediately called for a physician before Yan Gen could stop her, thus his antics were exposed.

     Now he can only rely in his ability to sneak out of the estate but his pretty maids snitched on him and told his parents about it. His guards in the courtyard multiplied and the maids watching over him doubled too. Yan Gen was going mad, betrayal is truly inevitable. He was mistaken to believe that his pretty maids were whole heatedly loyal to him.

      To make the long story short, he is doomed to attend the old Emperor's birthday banquet in the palace. He's no matched to the strength of his dozens of maids in addition to Wei Furen and his two personal maid servants.

Votes and Comments are highly appreciated :)

©Editer