One short story

Zhaoyang District

When he turned eighteen, he married.

The male from a general family married a female from a landlord (a wealthy family); can be considered a befitting couple [2]. The marriage was determined by the parents of both households, the matchmaking was sealed, and the role of the children was to follow through. When it was the auspicious day the lanterns were hung and flowers were gathered, red fireworks sparked and rosy wine placed. When the carriage came to the compound, the bride went through the door, and performed the kneeling ritual of the wedding [3]. In the end cannot say like or does not like. It’s only when one has reached the appropriate age one has to marry a wife, much like how snow has to fall in the winter. Even if one wanted or not, one cannot avoid. At times, the heart of a youth has caused him to become curious, does he know the wife he was going to marry has what kind of appearance, what type of personality? But such thoughts were transient as the ripples across the lake’s surface. He waved his hands, despite what will come, as long as the wife maintained the three obediences and four virtues then the official wife position[4] will forever be hers.

And so when married, the fireworks exploded across the sky, and the marriage carriage slowed down to the door. The bride stepped across the flames, kneeled to the heaven and earth, toasted wine…And then came the nuptial chamber part.

He cannot remembered her appearance when wearing the wedding dress anymore. It’s because when they entered the chamber he was already drunk eight parts. Only was able to lift up groggily the veil covering the face, and a glimpse of a vague beauty. The candlelight was hazy, and the red outfit was fuzzy… He sank deep into sleep.

When he has woken up, he saw when his eyes opened a thin figure in front of the dresser with black hair flowing long likes streams. Astonished for a bit, he then recovered and remembered that yesterday they have kneeled and performed the wedding ceremony. Starting from today, she was a married woman. That person was someone that will be with him for the rest of life. Silently stepped forward.

From behind, he only saw on the mirror the appearance of a pair of pinkish lips, a pretty thin chin, and pale skin that has caused her beauty to be tinged with blue-like frailness.

Not waiting for her to notice, he smiled brightly and spoke, “Your lips are too light, allow me to put on a few paint to brighten and freshen it up, alright?”

That was the first sentence that he said to her.

She responded by turning around and smiling with him. Eyes like marine water, and eyebrows like blue mountains.

He stepped forward, opened the box, wiped it on his fingers, and gently brushed it on her lips. Under his finger, her lips gradually flushed, like a blossom slowly blooming.

Yet, that blossom has now become his.

Gentleness arose from when has now permeated his heart, and he said with enthusiasm, “From now on, everyday I will apply paint for you.”

The scenery in the room on this day fell into the gaze of a servant. Rumors spread outside, saying he has learned from Zhang Chang [5], and that newlyweds were deeply passionate and their attractions were mutual.

———

Three Years Later

She liked wearing gentle colors like light blue and faded pink. Her daily outfits were those colors, and when looked from afar was like a cloud drifting indifferently across the sky. Often would not apply lavish makeup and only colored in the lips pink. Such lips were applied paint by him for her.