➳ TEN

乱七八糟
(luàn qī bā zāo)
something is a total mess

YVETTE LEANED AGAINST THE SIDE OF THE CAR, WATCHING THE SUNSET BEFORE HER AS SHE LET HER THOUGHTS RUN FREELY. She remembered asking her parents as a child to go on parks, and perhaps even accompany her when the sun dips low into the horizon. They never had time for her — her whole childhood was taken from her.

     She wondered what it was like — to have a normal family out there with parents who loved and cared for their children. A mother who'd fuss over her and make sure she's eating her meals and a father who'd take her out on basketball or even baseball games, put her on his shoulders to watch the fireworks.

    "Does it ever bother you, bro?" Seven asked, and Yvette glanced over to where he and One sat on the hood of the car. "To mean nothing to anyone. Like, one wrong word in there, and they go find themselves an Eight. Nine?"

     "Why do you think I chose you?" One quipped back at him. "A man whose longest relationship's with a rifle."

     Yvette snorted and rolled her eyes at that.

     Seven chuckled as he said, "You don't know my fucking life, bro."

     "You can't do the stuff that we do and have someone you love," One reasoned. "It doesn't — it doesn't work."

     "Sure you can," she called out as both men turned to her. She smiled, warmth spreading throughout her chest as she remembered the way Four tucks her in his arm and holds her as though he never wanted to let go. "Just because I blow shit up and kick some ass doesn't mean I'm incapable of love."

     Seven jutted a thumb at her and gave One a pointed look. "She's right. Everybody's got someone or something to lose, man. Even you."

     One paused to assess the peaceful and contented smile on Yvette's face and at the knowing expression on Seven's. He cleared his throat and averted his eyes away from them. "No, I . . . I'm gonna leave this world the same way that I came into it. Alone, thank you."

     "You're as dramatic as ever," Yvette mused. "Ever since day one we've met. It's a wonder how I managed to put up with you."

     One flipped her the bird.

     Seven barked out laughing at them. "You can drop the boo-hoo bullshit 'cause I see through it," he told One, pushing himself off the hood as he made his way to the car.

     "You were good in there," One complimented Seven. Yvette slid into the driver's seat and revved the engine as the car purred to life.

     "Yeah, I know," Seven said cockily, opening the door to the backseat.

     "That Turkmen was garbage."

     The three laughed at that, strapping their seatbelts across their chest as Yvette put the car in reverse. "You've got a soul, man," Seven said to One. "You could let it out."

     "I can't believe you missed your opportunity to say 'let it go'," she said, clicking her tongue in faux disappointment.

     "Clever coming from the girl who doesn't know who Eminem is," One retorted back.

THE DAY OF THE DEAD
TURGISTAN RUINS

Yvette was sitting on the edge of a boulder, closing her eyes as she tried to save up her energy when she felt a shadow fall over her. Cracking an eye open, she found Four looking down at her with a grin tugging on his lips.