Chapter 86

Ian

Amazing. The way she moved. The way she fought. All of it was truly amazing. She had been fighting for almost an hour now and more challengers were stepping forward by the minute. I wondered if they chose to fight because the she wolf had yet to show her fur, for the entire time she'd been in the pit she had not shifted once. She was using a variety of hand to hand attacks and a number of blades and guns that were scattered scantily around the pits walls and buried in the bloodied sand. I could see it though the way her chest was heaving now, the more effort she had put into her fights, she was running close to empty now. 

I weighed the tiny capped viles in my pocket in silence as I watched her strangle one of her challengers until he finally stopped kicking and the bell chimed for the next one to enter the ring. She was on her feet in an instant as the male three times her size stepped in to face her, he shifted right away and charged, she barely got out of the way in time. She was wounded and bleeding but there was a fire in her that refused to give out, I could see her desperation though as she sent a quick glance to the cage still perched upon the stage. She was doing this for them but I also knew the little she wolf was a survivor, she knew she was fighting a losing battle and she needed a way out.

 I had heard the stories of her bravery and her weakness of protecting others but I had also heard the other stories the ones that weren't so nice and heroic. I had heard of the stories where she abandoned friends when they needed her the most, just to save her own skin, stories where she turned against her friends and ripped them to shreds in a fit of anger. She was supposed to be a kindhearted but vicious fighter when really she was just a beast with a knack at surviving like me. The time was closing in where her resolve to save the boys in the cage would crumble for her own life instead. 

I watched her dodge the challenger as she grabbed a length of rope from the wall, she made a noose so quickly that he didn't have time to react as she threw it over his neck. I watched in fascination as she tied the other end to a rock and threw it over a hanging rafter. "Submit now or resign to your fate." Her snarl was angry as she pulled weight on the rock in her hands. The challenger didn't speak as he charged for her wordlessly once more, she did not hesitate to use full force to string him up and soon his lifeless body dangled there before dropping back to the sand below. 

"Now who the h*** is next!" She snapped out wildly as her gaze scanned the crowd, she was panting, bloody, exhausted. I pulled back a guy that had moved to enter next as I shoved him back towards his seat before making my move into the light of the camera's sights. "I am." The moment I spoke I stood tall and proud for the camera's as I shrugged off my shirt, displaying the very scars I'd earned in her place years ago. The crowd was screeching in outrage and frenzied for my legendary announcement, no champion had ever turned challenger, especially not anyone that had fought in the pits before. 

"I don't believe it folks this one is going to be one for the history books, champ of all champs your very on Pit victor, the leader of the clan of shadows, Ian West has just posed a challenge to tonight's champ Silver! It appears the little she wolf is done for folks best place your bets on how long this round will last, I say less than five minutes!" The announcer jeered to the crowd as I stared down the she wolf glaring up at me, slowly making my way down the stairs to the pit floor. We circled each other silently for a few moments as we waited for the bell chime to signal our fight. Five minutes I hummed to myself, with luck and her desperation for escape I was hoping for one minute, but if not I had ways to help her see sense sitting in my pocket.