(10) Ex-wife

Chassie George

Chassie George

I push open the door to my bedroom, giving in to the impulse to step out of the party. I didn't flick the light on because my curtains were drawn and allowed a dim pathway to my bed. I dropped on the edge of the bed. It creaked at the contact.

"I knew you'd be here."

I slightly jump in fright when I saw someone standing in the doorway. "Dad," I sighed.

He chuckles. "Sorry. I didn't mean to startle you."

"It's okay." I came looking for a moment alone, but seeing my dad, flushes it down the drain.

He walks over the bed and sank next to me. "You lasted more than five hours at the party."

I laugh. "You timed it?"

His shoulders rolled. "Well, I was hoping I'd fetch you out of your bedroom just like old times."

"Well, I never disappoint, do I?" I take in the dark hair he combed to the same side part all my life. It reminded me he's always had a softer side when it comes to me and Kathie. As far as I could remember, my dad was the considerate parent. Not that he was downright cruel to his employees, he was simply stern.

I would've been a great leader if given the same initiative and sense of leadership. It was easier. I never had to run crappy errands both imaginable and unimaginable for colleagues who thought I was just another rookie with unseemly overexcitement for a byline.

"But I'm not taking you back to the party if you don't want to," he says.

"Then it wouldn't be like the old times."

My dad snaps his fingers, playing along. "Good point, Chassie George."

"Let's get going then."

Dad waves his hand in dismissal. "We can stay here for a while. Party's boring anyway."

I let out a giggle. "Sure."

His eyes softened, mouth curving into a small smile. "How are you, sweetheart?"

"I'm fine."

His smile waned just a tad. "Is that something you're telling your dear old dad now?"

I look away. "I'm doing good."

"Are you sure? I know it when my daughters lie." He reaches over my hand and gave it a little squeeze. "It's okay to come back, Chassie George. If you need anything, your mom and I are always here."

I don't want my parents to be a crutch when things don't go my way. Maybe it was acceptable when I was younger, but it's different more birthdays later. I risked a glance his way. "I know, but I'm fine, really, dad."

He held my gaze for a good thirty seconds, and sighed. "You have the stubbornness of your mother."

"Good thing or bad thing?"